Jump to content
City encyclopedia

First Ring (Bismarckring, Kaiser-Friedrich-Ring, Gustav-Stresemann-Ring)

In February 1870, master builder Alexander Fach presented the draft of his general development plan to the public. The "second officially revised edition" of the "development plan for the expansion of the city of Wiesbaden" was approved in August 1871. The most significant urban development innovation was the concept of an inner and an outer "main ring road". The inner ring road, today's First Ring Road, planned with two wide carriageways, bridle path and tree-lined avenue and laid as a half ellipse around the southern part of the city, extending from Emser Straße in the west to Bierstadter Straße in the east, was intended to provide "a convenient connection between the streets" at the connection to the streets of the old town and to guide future traffic between the individual districts to the periphery of the city.

Kaiser-Friedrich-Ring, around 1900
Kaiser-Friedrich-Ring, around 1900

From 1884, the first section of the project between Rheinstraße and Dotzheimer Straße was realized as "Westliche Ringstraße". On March 19, 1891, the municipal representatives gave the south-western section of the Ringstrasse, which curved between Dotzheimer Strasse and Adolfsallee, the name "Kaiser-Friedrich-Ring". The part of the ring road extending north from Dotzheimer Straße to Sedanplatz, which was laid out in 1892, was first listed as "Bismarckring" in the 1892/93 address book of the city of Wiesbaden with the note that, apart from the one building listed, "the street was still undeveloped". On the outer side of the ring, the closed tenement development came to an end in 1901/02 at Gutenbergplatz, while the development on the inner side of the ring had already reached as far as Adolfsallee a few years earlier. By 1910, Bismarck- and Kaiser-Friedrich-Ring were completely built up.

After the main railway station opened in 1906 and Kaiserplatz was laid out in front of it, the ring between Adolfsallee and Frankfurter Straße was given the name "Kaiser-Wilhelm-Ring" in 1908. The extension to Frankfurter Strasse was completed in 1936 and in 1938 the Moltkering between the First Ring and Bierstadter Strasse was opened to traffic. In 1950, Kaiserplatz was renamed Bahnhofsplatz and the eastern section of the First Ring from Adolfsallee was renamed Gustav-Stresemann-Ring.

There are only a few public buildings on the First Ring. Apart from the railroad station, these include the Ringkirche church and the Landeshaus. The ensemble of mostly four-storey, well-preserved apartment buildings on the First Ring is outstanding, with their richly designed façades, on which all varieties of historicism can be found, as well as the occasional Art Nouveau repertoire of forms. Apart from a short section, the Loreleiring, the second ring road was not finally completed until the 1960s.

Literature

Baumeister, Reinhard: Expert opinion of Mr. Oberbaurat and Professor R. Baumeister, concerning the expansion of the city of Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden 1894.

Fach, Alexander: General development plan. Explanatory report. In: Rheinischer Kurier 1870/32 II, 6. 2.

Complete reprint in Neese, Bernd-Michael: Beiträge zur Geschichte der Stadt Wiesbaden im 19. Jahrhundert, Wiesbaden 2012 [pp. 213-217].

Sigrid Russ, editor, Denkmaltopographie Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Cultural monuments in Hesse. Wiesbaden I.2 - City extensions within the ring road. Ed.: State Office for Monument Preservation Hesse, Stuttgart 2005 [pp. 376-450].

Wiesbaden city archives, municipal council meetings 1885 (MAG 100/984), 1891 (MAG 115/864. 865).

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits