Jump to content
Districts and suburbs

Naurod

Numerous burial mounds from the Hallstatt period around 800 to 400 BC testify to traces of settlement as early as pre-Christian times. Naurod itself was probably only founded in the course of the high medieval settlement expansion and clearing period from around 1000. A charter from 1353, in which the Nauroders' rights to use the forest are confirmed as having been exercised for 100 years, points to a date of origin around the middle of the 13th century. The village is first mentioned in a document from 1346, in which Count Gerlach zu Nassau transfers his lordship to his sons Adolf and Johann, but reserves certain revenues for himself.

In 1457, Naurod was pledged to Count Ludwig von Isenburg/Büdingen along with other villages and half of Sonnenberg Castle as part of Marie zu Nassau's dowry. Naurod, like other communities in the Wiesbaden area, was obliged to provide labor services for the castle estate. In 1360, a mayor appointed by the sovereign and several aldermen are mentioned. The Wiesbaden Aldermen's Court was the high court for Naurod and responsible for criminal jurisdiction. The oldest Naurod court seal dates from 1671 and shows St. Laurentius with his instrument of torture, the gridiron, and a Bible.

According to an inventory from 1817, the Schultheiß kept the court seal and important documents in a court box and a court cupboard. His office was furnished with sovereign edicts, ordinance sheets and the "Nassauisches Intelligenzblatt". The forester, the field keeper, the cattle and pig herders, who lived in the herdsmen's houses mentioned in 1817, and the shepherd also had important functions in the community. As in the entire Wiesbaden district, the old Schultheiß was abolished in the course of the 1848 revolution and replaced by a municipal council elected by the residents and headed by a mayor. Naurod was often drawn into military conflicts: in 1417, the village was burned to the ground by the Eppsteiners. Naurod suffered greatly during the Thirty Years' War with its plundering and plague raids. In 1625, 45 people died of the plague within three months. The village lay completely deserted for seven years. In 1641, four families returned, and in 1684, 18 families with 88 people were living in Naurod again.

In addition to its farm buildings and the small church, Naurod had one other public building since 1567: In that year, the Wiesbaden parish hall in the so-called narrower town was given to Count Balthasar zu Nassau-Idstein, who had it unceremoniously demolished and erected in Naurod. In 1817, Naurod had a school that was about to be demolished, a wooden bakehouse, two shepherds' huts, a fire station and several wells.

Protestant church in Naurod, around 1960
Protestant church in Naurod, around 1960

An older church dedicated to St. Laurentius, whose appearance is depicted in a drawing from 1580, was located in the area of today's cemetery. Bleidenstadt Monastery, which appointed the clergyman Adolf Guttuncker from Wiesbaden as parish priest in Naurod in 1445, exercised the right of patronage over the church. 11 years later, a new priest, Rudolf Schuderici, also from Wiesbaden, was appointed to Naurod. Between 1542 and 1550, Naurod probably became Protestant and, in the course of the Reformation, a branch of Kloppenheim. During the Thirty Years' War, the Naurod church was badly damaged and renovation work dragged on for years. In 1650, a new bell was cast in Mainz and the communion chalice, which had been moved during the war, was replaced. In 1670, a second bell and a clock were purchased. Three important pieces of equipment from the old church, the wooden sculptures of Saints Laurentius and Sebastian and a Madonna from around 1510, have been preserved in the Nassau Antiquities Collection. In 1716 there was a reorganization of the church: A separate parish was established in Naurod, to which Auringen was assigned as a branch. Construction of a rectory began in 1717. In 1727, the parish received permission to build a new church. The Nassau architect Johann Jakob Bager the Elder drew up the construction plans for an octagonal Baroque central building, which was consecrated in 1730 and received an organ in 1732; the old church was demolished.

There is evidence of a schoolmaster in Naurod as early as 1619, and two years later there was also a school, although it is not known where it was located. After the turmoil of war, Naurod was able to employ its own teacher again in 1668, and a new school was built in 1680-84, to which the people of Auring now also sent their children. When Naurod became an independent parish in 1716, the pastor was also given the position of teacher. This remained the case until 1774, even if the parish priest occasionally took on a school servant at his own expense. At this time, 36 children attended school. Around 1730, the parish acquired a building in the vicinity of the new church, in which a classroom was set up. However, it also served as a smithy until 1746. In 1820-22, a new school was built at Obergasse no. 11. This building also soon proved to be too small and was replaced in 1856/57 by a new building, the later town hall, designed by the Nassau master builder Philipp Hoffmann. It housed two classrooms, the teacher's apartment, the community bakery and prison. The local dialect poet Rudolf Dietz was born here in 1863. The school, which was built in 1958 as a four-class elementary school and expanded into a middle school in 1962, is named after him. It has functioned as an elementary school since 1973, while the neighboring Kellerskopfschule teaches lower and upper secondary school pupils.

At the beginning of the 16th century, there were 18 taxable households in Naurod. By 1576, this number had increased to 24. On the eve of the Thirty Years' War, Naurod had around 125 inhabitants. Almost all families owned draught cattle and 120 fattening pigs were driven into the Märkerwald forest, all signs of a certain prosperity. Although the farmland in Naurod was not very productive, the municipality's abundance of wood and its large forest holdings are still characteristic today. Naurod belonged to the Wiesbaden royal court; the community has always been entitled to use the Taunus forest march north of Wiesbaden

In 1746, 100 years after the Thirty Years' War, the population had returned to its pre-war level: once again, there were 23 families, each with a team, as well as 13 manual laborers and one bysser, who had to work as day laborers from time to time. These 180 people owned a total of 38 houses, 25 barns and 18 stables. Naurod lived less from agriculture than from livestock farming. The Schultheiß had the largest fortune in the village. From 1771 onwards, attempts were made in the Naurod district to extract near-surface raw materials such as barite, but also basalt, sericite gneiss, quartz and clay. Copper and manganese ores were also mined for a short time. Of supra-local importance was a tannery with a tannery mill and upper leather factory, which is still commemorated today by Gerberstraße; it existed from the middle of the 19th century until the First World War.

Around 1900, a lung sanatorium was built in Naurod on the initiative of the Nassauischer Heilstättenverein für Lungenkranke e.V. (Nassau Sanatorium Association for Lung Patients); it operated for a time as the Taunus Sanatorium or Naurod Specialist Clinic for Respiratory Diseases. Since 1984, the Wilhelm-Kempf-Haus, a conference center of the diocese of Limburg, has stood in its place. In 1855, the number of inhabitants had tripled to 557 and the number of houses doubled to 80. A clear sign of the structural change that soon followed is the decrease in livestock and the size of individual farms by the end of the century. At the same time, milk production intensified from the 1880s to meet the steadily growing demand of the spa town of Wiesbaden; in 1900 there were three milk traders in Naurod. The number of larger farms decreased drastically, while the number of part-time farms with areas of less than two hectares increased. In 1927, only 61 of 373 taxpayers were still self-employed. Naurod had thus become a working-class municipality. Of the workers, 148 were employed in Wiesbaden - many of them as building tradesmen - 12 in Mainz and 38 in Höchst.

The First World War claimed 33 lives; 19 people died in the influenza epidemic of 1918. After the war, a sports field was built on Erbsenacker as part of state-sponsored emergency measures. Six clubs were founded in 1923-29, some of which were disbanded in 1933 for being "Marxist". A central water supply was introduced in Naurod in 1925. Electricity had been available since 1910. From 1929, Naurod was connected to the municipal public transport system by a bus line. In the 1933 municipal elections, the NSDAP received 26.9% of the vote. In the Reichstag elections, it was the strongest party with 39%. The SPD mayor Wilhelm Schleunes was removed from office. Naurod was largely spared from bombing raids.

Seventy-six inhabitants did not return from the Second World War. After the end of the war, the municipality took in 400 refugees and new residential areas were built around the old town center. The Erbsenacker housing estate was developed together with Höchst AG. The population rose from 1,200 in 1945 to 4,300 in 1992. Important new buildings included the new mourning hall in 1952, the "Forum" community hall in 1975 and the Kellerskopfhalle, a sports hall inaugurated in 1973, which can also be used for special cultural events.

Naurod is characterized by a lively club life; 18 clubs have joined together to form a community of interest. Naurod was incorporated into Wiesbaden in 1977.

Literature

Kopp, 650 Jahre Naurod; Magistrat vor Ort: Materialien zur Stadtentwicklung. Naurod, City Planning Office (ed.), Wiesbaden 1992.

Renkhoff, Otto: Wiesbaden im Mittelalter, Wiesbaden 1980 (Geschichte der Stadt Wiesbaden 2).

650 years of Naurod: 1346-1996. Nauroder Chronik up to the present. Edited by Nickel, Wolfgang, Wiesbaden-Erbenheim 1996.

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits