Delkenheim
Delkenheim developed on fertile loess soil in the foothills of the Main and Taunus rivers near the "Stone Road" built by the Romans on an elevated valley floor surrounded by the Wickerbach stream. Traces of pre-Christian settlement date back to the Neolithic period. In 1998, the grave of a man buried as a Christian from the Franconian period was discovered. The name of the village also suggests that the settlement of Delkenheim was founded in the Frankish period between around 600 and 900. The "villa Delkilnheim" is first mentioned in the Eppstein feudal registers around 1200 and with "Godefridus de Delchilnheim" in April 1204. Delkenheim was the most important village in the lordship of Eppstein. This can be seen from the taxes and duties that the Eppsteiners received from Delkenheim in 1479, the value of which is given as 80 fl. per year. The Eppsteiners appointed the mayor in Delkenheim, who is first attested in 1303, and exercised the local bailiwick. Mechthildshausen, the center of the ruling rights of this noble family and the seat of the old court, was located in the Delkenheim district. The elevation of Delkenheim to a town on December 4, 1320 by King Ludwig the Bavarian also goes back to the Eppsteins - the king was returning the favor for the services that Gottfried IV had rendered him in his dispute with Count Gerlach zu Nassau. However, the granting of town privileges had no further consequences - Delkenheim did not become more than a valley municipality. Delkenheim was also drawn into the dispute between the Lords of Eppstein and the Counts of Nassau, who both claimed the Mechtildshausen court as an imperial fief for themselves, and was set on fire in November 1417.
The Eppsteins maintained a manorial court in Delkenheim, which also housed a prison; the mill, first mentioned in 1303 and 1310, the so-called Erbleihmühle, was also manorial. In addition to the Lords of Eppstein, numerous ecclesiastical institutions were also estates in Delkenheim, including monasteries and convents in Mainz. Klarenthal Abbey owned land in the Delkenheim district, while Arnsberg Abbey in the Wetterau had a monastery farm. Delkenheim belonged to the so-called Ländchen and was sold with it to the Landgraviate of Hesse in 1492. At that time, Delkenheim was fortified with "quite a few moats and fences". A rampart at Delkenheim is mentioned as early as 1438. In 1568 Delkenheim passed to Hesse-Marburg, in 1604 to Hesse-Kassel and in 1627 to Hesse-Darmstadt. The village fell to Nassau with the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1803.
The parish church of Delkenheim was first mentioned in 1299. The Lords of Eppstein retained the right to appoint the parish even after the sale of Delkenheim to the Landgraves of Hesse. As a result, the first Lutheran pastor appointed by Philip the Magnanimous was expelled from Delkenheim around 1530 because Count Eberhard IV still adhered to the old faith at that time. In 1773, the foundation stone was laid for the massive rectory that still exists today. The Delkenheim church was a single-nave Gothic church with a ridge turret; the choir was slightly older than the nave. It was demolished in 1893. On September 12, 1894, the new Protestant church, the so-called Ländchesdom, a work by architect Ludwig Hofmann from Herborn, was consecrated. In the Middle Ages and early modern times, local administration and jurisdiction were the responsibility of a mayor appointed by the Lords of Eppstein and several aldermen. A court seal from 1686 has been preserved.
There is evidence of Jewish inhabitants since 1575: In this year, "Goetzel Jude zu Delkenheim" had to answer for his actions in an Imperial Chamber Court trial. In 1746 a patron Jew Isaak zu Delkenheim is mentioned, in 1764 also Deßel, his son. In 1811 Heyum Samuel from Delkenheim requested that his debts to the Michelsbacher Hütte be waived. In 1859-79, the records refer to a "synagogue" in Delkenheim. In 2007, numerous documents from the Jewish family of a grain merchant from around 1800 were discovered in a private house.
A teacher is first mentioned in Delkenheim in 1605. In 1618, a school was built next to the church; the teacher, who also acted as a bell ringer, was mainly paid in kind. The number of pupils increased to 70 at the beginning of the 19th century, so the community acquired a residential building in 1819 and converted it into a schoolhouse. In 1848, Wilhelm Dietz, the grandfather of local poet Rudolf Dietz, took up the teaching position in Delkenheim. Between 1962 and 1969, the Karl Gärtner School and another new school building with 21 classes, a gymnasium and sports facilities were built. A community center was built in 1974 and a Catholic church with a community center was built in the Wiesengrund settlement.
In 1457, there were 32 houses in Delkenheim. Shortly before the Thirty Years' War, 64 households were counted, after its end in 1637 the number had shrunk to 13. In 1707, there were 66 families, 6 by-siders and two Jews living in Delkenheim. At the end of the century, the number of inhabitants was given as 523. As a result of the Napoleonic wars and the occupation by Russian troops, it fell again somewhat at the beginning of the 19th century and was around 500 in 1803. In 1852 there were 645 people living in Delkenheim, in 1910 just under 1,000 inhabitants. Delkenheim wine, which is equal in quality to Hochheim and Rauenthal wine, is already mentioned in an Eppstein feudal register from 1290. In earlier times, the wine-growing area was much larger than it is today; in 1457, Gottfried VII von Eppstein named 17 ½ acres of vineyards in Delkenheim as his own; this area is also mentioned when the land was sold in 1492. After the Thirty Years' War, however, half of it was used as farmland, and from 1693 all of it. In 1775, there were still 65 ½ acres of vineyards in the Delkenheim district. Due to the growing population, these were reduced to only 16 acres before the First World War and to 1.5 hectares in 2000 in favor of arable farming. In 1775, the village consisted of a church, school, rectory, 80 farmsteads and 4 parish houses, a mill and 57 farm buildings. 83 families with 314 souls, including 11 farmhands and 25 maidservants, cultivated 1,653 acres of arable land, 65 1/2 acres of vineyards and 262 acres of meadows. Until the First World War, agriculture was the main source of income.
A fundamental structural change, combined with a rapid increase in population, did not take place until the 1950s. In 1957, the municipality of Delkenheim already had 1,463 inhabitants, in 1987 there were 5,517. In 2016, around 5,000 people lived in Delkenheim. In 1959, a central water supply system was put into operation and building land was designated on a large scale. Delkenheim was incorporated into Wiesbaden on 01.01.1977.
Literature
Bach, Adolf: Die Siedlungsnamen des Taunusgebietes in ihrer Bedeutung für die Besiedlungsgeschichte, Bonn 1927 [p. 52].
Bethke, Gerd S.: Main-Taunus-Land. Hist. Ortslexikon, Frankfurt a. M. 1996 [pp. 34-36].
Hessel, Hans-Jürgen: Fortified churches (Wehrkirchen): Entry into a compendium, Neustadt in Holstein 2014 [pp. 68-74].