Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Linnenkohl, coffee roastery

Linnenkohl coffee roasting plant, around 1900
Linnenkohl coffee roasting plant, around 1900

The Linnenkohl coffee roastery was founded in 1852 by Georg Daniel Linnenkohl (1816-1880) on the corner of Nerostrasse and Röderstrasse and mainly sold groceries and bread. Around 1871, the owner moved to Ellenbogengasse 15. From 1880, the store mainly sold colonial goods as well as coffee and tea.

Linnenkohl used the customs office in Biebrich harbor as a transshipment point for the supplies of coffee beans arriving from overseas and was thus able to transport the goods quickly to the roasting plant. There it was put together into various coffee blends in an elaborate process. Soon Linnenkohl was no longer just supplying his customers in and around Wiesbaden, but was also selling his products in central and southern Germany.

In 1901, the founder's grandson, Adolf Linnenkohl, expanded the product range to include various types of tea, which he imported to Wiesbaden from a warehouse he had recently acquired in Amsterdam's free port. After the First World War, Linnenkohl worked closely with Ludwig Rosmanith, who later became Vice President of the Wiesbaden Chamber of Industry and Commerce. His son, Willi Rosmanith, joined the company in 1931. He continued to run the business alone until 1983, when he sold it to a Frankfurt coffee roasting company. The traditional roastery had to close in 2011.

Literature

Three generations of Linnenkohl. Commemorative publication 100 years of Linnenkohl, Wiesbaden 1952.

Eder, Angelika. In: Wiesbadener Tagblatt 10.03.2011 [p. 12].

Collection of newspaper clippings from the Wiesbaden City Archives, "Linnenkohl, Kaffeerösterei".

Contemporary witnesses. Wiesbaden houses tell their history. Ed.: Gesellschaft zur Pflege von Dialekt und Stadtgeschichte Wiesbadens Mattiaca, Volume IV, Wiesbaden 2007 [pp. 78-85].

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits