Fish farming
In order to satisfy the great demand for fish in the Duchy of Nassau, the "Nassauische-Fischerei-Actien-Gesellschaft" was founded in Wiesbaden in 1863 with the support of Duke Adolph of Nassau.
In the Kesselbach Valley (Adamstal), a tenant dug out ponds on behalf of the company and set up a fish farm. The products were sold by a Wiesbaden merchant in Marktstraße until 1877. The tenant received support for his plans to build an excursion restaurant in addition to the fish farm from the Wiesbaden Beautification Association. In 1872, he built a restaurant building, a shed and a shelter as a new excursion destination for spa guests and locals. He ran the restaurant next to the fish farm until 1895, when the facility became municipal property.
The expansion of the premises had already begun the previous year. A new Swiss-style main building and outbuildings were built. In the following decades, various tenants managed the restaurant and fish farm. During the Second World War, the property was used by the Wehrmacht as a storage facility.
The city of Wiesbaden finally sold the buildings in 1964, but retained ownership of the ponds. The restaurant remained, although fish farming has not been carried out since the 1980s.
Literature
Sigrid Russ, editor, Denkmaltopographie Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Cultural monuments in Hesse. Wiesbaden II - The villa areas. Edited by: Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Hessen, 2nd revised edition, Stuttgart 1996 [p. 616].
Contemporary witnesses. Wiesbaden houses tell their history. Ed.: Gesellschaft zur Pflege von Dialekt und Stadtgeschichte Wiesbadens Mattiaca, Volume IV, Wiesbaden 2007 [pp. 113-122].