Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Wartburg Castle

The Wartburg in the center of Wiesbaden was originally built as a clubhouse for the "Wiesbadener Männergesangverein". After an eventful history, it has served as another venue for the Hessian State Theater since 2003.


Relief in the sandstone façade.
Relief in the sandstone façade.

At the end of the 19th century, the members of the "Wiesbadener Männergesangverein", founded in 1841, decided to build their own clubhouse. Thanks to the generous financial support of Heinrich Albert, the property at Schwalbacherstrasse 51 was acquired. The foundation stone for the building was laid on May 12, 1906 under the direction of architects Lücke and Euler & Bergen. Architecturally, elegantly curved Art Nouveau forms were combined with Romanesque imagery. There are also individual baroque and antique architectural features. The relief in the sandstone façade was particularly striking. In addition to scenes from Richard Wagner's opera about the Singers' War at Wartburg Castle, it depicts Franz Mannstaedt, then imperial court conductor at the New Royal Court Theatre (later the Hessian State Theatre in Wiesbaden), and four singers from the association.

After seven months of construction, the clubhouse was opened on December 9, 1906 with a glittering ceremony. The name was chosen in memory of the legendary singing contest at Wartburg Castle in Thuringia in 1206. In the following years, the choral society and with it its clubhouse and the restaurant on the first floor experienced its heyday. The 400 square meter ballroom was always full at numerous concerts and the singers were awarded several prestigious prizes. However, the low membership fees were not enough to cover the increased building costs.

The outbreak of the First World War further worsened the situation of the association, so that its existence could only be secured by the entry of the "Rheinische Weingesellschaft". During the war, the number of lavish celebrations fell sharply. Instead, the Jewish community held its services in the Wartburg, as its premises had been converted into military hospitals. The post-war period began in Wiesbaden with a rally by the Social Democratic Reichstag deputy Gustav Raute. As the Gewerkschaftshaus was relatively small, the event, at which the Kaiser and his war policy were strongly condemned, was repeated in the Wartburg.

As a result of the French occupation and the worsening financial situation caused by the economic crisis, the restaurant in the Wartburg had to close. The lack of rent and inflation hit the choral society hard. In 1923, it had to sell its clubhouse to the Henninger brewery. Until the National Socialists came to power, the premises were occupied by the Wiesbadener Volks- und Bildungsverein and the cultural organizations of the workers' movement. During the Third Reich, a restaurant moved back into the first floor and the large hall was used extensively by numerous associations. On January 21, 1939, for example, an exhibition gymnastics competition was held by the Wiesbaden Postal Gymnastics Club and in the spring, the Schierstein Carnival Club held a parade in the Wartburg. The building survived the bombing of Wiesbaden on the night of February 2-3, 1945 unscathed.

After the end of the war, the American occupiers turned the Wartburg into an officers' club, which became a notorious meeting place. At the beginning of the 1950s, the top commanders put an end to this hustle and bustle and, in the wake of the economic miracle, the Wartburg developed into a more respectable nightclub. As a result, the large hall was once again available to Wiesbaden clubs for parties and performances.

In the middle of the decade, the building had to be completely renovated. Financed by generous donations from wealthy Wiesbaden citizens, the "City Bar" was opened on the first floor on April 28, 1956 after several months of construction work. This was followed in the fall by the "Dixie Bar" on the second floor and a variety show in the large hall. As music styles changed in the 1960s, the tenants, musicians and audiences in the various venues changed. The building suffered from the constant renovations and was on the verge of demolition just ten years after its complete refurbishment. This fate was averted thanks to extensive renovations by the new tenant, who set up a Bavarian restaurant called "Oberbayern" on the first floor.

After initially very successful years, the "Oberbayern" had to close at the end of the 1960s due to a lack of customers. The upper floors of the Wartburg were then used as a training facility for martial artists and tennis players, while an Islamic religious community occupied rooms on the first floor. The Henninger brewery now saw the building as a burden, as no coherent concept for a worthwhile use could be found. In 1978, Mario Pfeifer and Toni Schütt, who had been running the "Candy" discotheque in the Wartburg since 1972, bought the entire building for 750,000 Deutschmarks. Soon afterwards, a "Hard Rock Café" opened on the first floor and the Mainz concert agency "alpha concerts" transformed the large hall into the "Wartburg Music Hall". Despite well-known artists, this was only moderately frequented by the citizens of Wiesbaden, so the concert agency and with it the disco and the "Hard Rock Café" left the Wartburg in 1980.

The Wartburg on Schwalbacher Straße.
The Wartburg on Schwalbacher Straße.

After lengthy renovation work, the "Café Plantage" opened on the first floor in 1983, which was able to establish itself as a well-known trendy meeting place despite changing furnishings and tenants several times. In the same year, an association of Bhagwan disciples rented the upper floors of the Wartburg to great protest from the Wiesbaden bourgeoisie and transformed the rooms into a place of meditation and contemplation. The large hall was lined with marble and used as a noble dance palace. After two years, the sannyasins, Bhagwan's followers, were no longer able to pay their bills despite good visitor numbers and an estimated annual turnover of one million Deutschmarks. After ESWE cut off the electricity, they had to leave the building.

In 1986, the operators of the "Café Plantage" took over the upper rooms of the Wartburg and provided space for numerous cultural events by popular artists until the 1990s. After several successful years, the former choir house changed hands in 1992. The city of Wiesbaden took over the building for 5.8 million Deutschmarks in order to preserve the Wartburg as a meeting place for young people. Until the large hall was closed due to the risk of collapse in 1994, numerous pubs and discotheques hosted school and student parties. After another refurbishment, Eastern European discotheques opened in the mid-1990s with the Polish "Lot" and the Russian "Gagarin". After repeated violations of the law were discovered at events held there, the city decided at the turn of the millennium to return Wartburg Castle to high art in accordance with the ideas of its builders.

After extensive renovation and conversion work, a new venue for the Wiesbaden State Theatre was inaugurated on May 15, 2003. The first floor will once again house a restaurant. With its current use, the Wartburg is returning to its artistic and culinary roots after an eventful history, which will continue to characterize it in the future.

Literature

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits