Jump to content
Districts and suburbs

Rambach

Rambach, located north-east of Wiesbaden on the southern slope of the Taunus ridge below the Kellerskopf, was first mentioned in 1264. However, the settlement itself is much older, with the remains of 23 burial mounds dating back to the Bronze Age. The remains of a Roman estate ("villa rustica", also known as a "monastery") have been uncovered in the Hassel forest district. A Roman military station 200 m long and 70 m wide, protected by two circular ramparts, was located on the "Quecken" spur in the middle of the village.

The present settlement was probably founded at the end of the 12th or beginning of the 13th century, around the same time as Naurod and Heßloch. In 1264, Heinricus and Cunradus de Rombach are mentioned as tenants of the Mainz Altmünster monastery. A further mention from this time refers to an Eppstein feudal register and lists the properties that Lutherus de Marketrode held in fief from Gerhard III von Eppstein in Rambach. This also names one of the landlords who owned property rights, goods, income, the church tithe and the court in the so-called lower village, namely the Lords of Eppstein. The lords of Frauenstein were also lords of the manor, but as early as 1298 they began to sell their possessions in Rambach. Gottfried von Frauenstein finally transferred his estates to Count Gerlach zu Nassau in 1344. In 1441, the Nassau family was then able to take possession of all Eppstein rights as well as high jurisdiction. This affiliation to the Nassau dominion also explains why the Rambachers were obliged to provide meadow transportation to the Schlosshof estate in Wiesbaden in the 15th century; however, they were able to redeem this service in exchange for an annual annuity of 13 fl. At times they also had to pay interest to the Weißfrauenkloster convent in Mainz (1568). Rambach had close ties to Sonnenberg: when Count Johann zu Nassau pledged part of the castle there in 1457, this also included income from Rambach. Rambach suffered badly during the Thirty Years' War. Of the 125 inhabitants before the war, only eight lived in the village afterwards.

The first court seal was introduced in 1637, showing St. Nicholas with a mitre, holding the crosier in his right hand and a bowl with three balls in his left. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the parish was headed by a mayor and an accountant or headman. Other employees and servants were the bailiff, who also served as night watchman, another night watchman, a field guard, a forester, a midwife and the servant of the medical assistant (1823). The occupations of the inhabitants at this time include thatcher, broom maker and harness maker. Sheep farming has a long tradition in Rambach, as does fruit growing. Agriculture and livestock farming, on the other hand, were not a profitable occupation due to the barrenness of the land.

Protestant church with war memorial, 1967
Protestant church with war memorial, 1967

In the Middle Ages, the village belonged to the parish of Bierstadt, and from 1685 it was a branch of Sonnenberg; the school was also under the Sonnenberg "Pfarradjunkt". The Sonnenberg pastors also conducted the church service in Rambach. However, the church was administered by its own vicar as early as 1827; his income included the yields from two fields. In 1910, a permanent assistant pastor position was established in Rambach, which was elevated to a separate pastor position in 1953. A new vicarage was built in 1954. It is not known when the oldest church dates back to. Between 1540-46, Rambach became Protestant along with the other Nassau villages. In 1546, the chapel in Rambach is said to have been destroyed in a fire. It was rebuilt, as in 1594 the residents were asked in a visitation protocol not to let the building fall into too much disrepair. This new place of worship also fell victim to a fire in 1673. In 1680, there was a wooden church on the same site, which soon fell into disrepair again. An organ was installed in 1751. The old wooden church was replaced by a stone building. There was no organist, the organ was played by the teacher. The church was closed in 1887 due to dilapidation and a new church was consecrated on September 15, 1892. As the burial ground around the church became too small, a new cemetery was built on the Kitzelberg, where funerals have been held since 1859. A new funeral hall was built in 1989. In 1911, the Protestant parish opened its first kindergarten (infant school), 40 years later a second kindergarten was inaugurated. The few Catholics in Rambach initially went to Wiesbaden for church services, and since the foundation of a Catholic parish with branches in Rambach, Heßloch, Bierstadt, Igstadt and Kloppenheim in 1887, they have gone to Sonnenberg. The Catholic Rambach chapel building association, founded in 1956, campaigned for a church of its own; St. Johannes in der Lach was consecrated on May 9, 1963.

In 1684, there were 72 inhabitants in Rambach. Until 1688, children from Rambach had to go to school in Sonnenberg. The first one-class school was built in the center of the village near the fountain; the small schoolroom also served as the teacher's home. The names of the teachers have been known since the beginning of the 18th century; in 1748, the number of pupils was already 50. The close relationship with Sonnenberg remained: When an inventory of the school building was drawn up in 1820, not only the Rambach Schultheiß was present, but also the parish priest of Sonnenberg and Rambach, Georg Ludwig Cramer. In 1822/23, a new school building with a barn, pigsty and privy was built, while the old one was sold for demolition. 74 children attended the school at this time. Around 1900, this school had also become too small, and on October 20, 1902, a new building was inaugurated, which was attended by 316 pupils. This "new school" on Kirchweg served as a multi-purpose building for the school, the fire department, the "Stimpert" (prison), the mayor's office and the teacher's apartment. The old school was demolished.

Several mills were built along the course of the Rambach, including a Lohmühle mill and the Stickelmühle mill in 1709. Around 1750, a one-storey half-timbered fire station was built to the right of the Kirchweg. In 1768 there was a major flood with a lot of damage. In 1797, a new municipal seal was created; the image of St. Nicholas became a shepherd or judge with a high hat and simple staff. Two fountains were built in 1760/61. A third can be seen today on Wellbornstraße.

In 1840, the village had 512 inhabitants. The community assets included a shepherd's house and a two-storey town hall, which also housed the village bakery. In 1900, Rambach had 1,495 inhabitants. The majority of them were small farmers and carters, who often transported stones from the quarries in Sonnenberg. There were many laundries, including the two steam laundries Emil Renson & Söhne and Fischer, which did laundry for hotels and wealthy families in Wiesbaden. The construction of the Kellerskopf tunnel in 1899-1906 gave Rambach a central water supply, and in 1909 the construction of the new road to Naurod also improved transport links.

The "prevailing social-democratic spirit" was lamented: as proof of this, one chronicler reports that no one in Rambach volunteered for military service in 1914. Nevertheless, there were also many casualties in Rambach during the First World War. A memorial was erected in front of the cemetery for the 54 fallen. This was followed by the occupation by the French. On 01.04.1928, Rambach was incorporated into Wiesbaden with 1,721 inhabitants and eight other suburbs.

The Second World War left painful traces, 62 Rambach residents were killed. In 1940, incendiary bombs set three barns on fire. On the night of the bombing from February 2 to 3, 1945, the Rambach restaurant "Waldlust", the rectory and adjacent buildings were reduced to rubble. The church also suffered extensive damage. 30 people died.

In the post-war period, several major building projects were carried out, the sewage system was extended and a sports field was laid out. After the "New School" had become too small, the later Adolf Reichwein School on the sports field was inaugurated on September 1, 1958. Six years later, a gymnasium was added, which has been used as a multi-purpose hall since 1976/77. The former "Neue Schule", on the other hand, serves as a community center for the Protestant parish (inaugurated in 1985). In 1961, the current forester's lodge (Revierförsterei) was built on Kellerskopfweg. In 1966/67, the DRK center was built at Niedernhausener Straße 44 (since 1987 Albert-Janssen-Haus) and in 1969 the fire station in Adolf-Schneider-Straße. In 1950, the population was 2,373. The number of farms declined: from 16 in 1974 to eight in 1984. The old community of craftsmen and workers became a residential suburb. Population growth in Rambach stagnated; from 1961-86 the population only grew by 8%.

There has always been a lively club life in Rambach. Today, the municipality has 19 clubs, of which the gymnastics and sports club of 1861 is the largest with around 560 members.

Literature

Herrmann, Fritz-Rudolf: Wiesbaden-Rambach, pre- and early medieval monuments. Archaeological monuments in Hesse 32. dept. f. Vor- und Frühgeschichte im Landesamt f. Denkmalpflege, Wiesbaden 1983.

Magistrat vor Ort: Materials on urban development. Rambach, City Planning Office (ed.), Wiesbaden 1987.

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits