Second ring
Although master builder Alexander Fach's concept of building a closed ring road around the city's soft landscape could not be realized due to the hilly terrain in the east and north of the city, it was always the subject of discussion within the city as an important and necessary traffic project. Over the course of more than a century, the project was realized in very different periods of time, with the originally planned circle being reduced to a semi-circle that was only completed in the 1980s.
The Second Ring began in 1907 with the Loreleiring, which was given its name by a magistrate's decision on November 6, 1907. It was further extended between 1926 and 1930 to Germaniaplatz, which was renamed "Karlsbader Platz" by a resolution of the city council on October 15, 1953.
The northern continuation of Loreleirings is Kurt-Schumacher-Ring (formerly known as "Prinz-Friedrich-Karl-Ring"), which was given this name by a resolution of the city council on October 13, 1960. It was extended by the decision of the Committee of Elders on 02.08.1973 to include parts of Westendstrasse and Gneisenaustrasse.
The Konrad-Adenauer-Ring connects to the Loreleiring in a southerly direction and was given its name by a resolution of the city council on 22.05.1969 after parts of "Hochheimer", "Wieland" and "Steinberger Straße" were included in the new street layout. The continuation of the Konrad-Adenauer-Ring is the Theodor-Heuß-Ring (named by resolution of the city council on 23.10.1969), in whose street layout the "Anton-Wahl-Straße", a part of the "Breitenbach-", the "Schwarzenberg-" and the "Siegfriedstraße" were included. After discussions among the residents of Siegfriedstraße, the city councillors decided on 01.04.1976 to rename the part of the street from the bridge over Mainzer Straße to Berliner Straße as "Siegfriedring".