Erbenheimer Warte
To protect his territory on the right bank of the Rhine, including the villages of Kastel, Kostheim, Hochheim and Flörsheim, the Archbishop and Elector of Mainz Berthold von Henneberg (1441/42-1504) had the Landwehr (Landgraben and Gebück) extended from 1484. The Erbenheimer Warte, one of the four new observation and signal towers of the fortification, was built around 1497; it is located in the Kastel district near Fort Biehler. Other control rooms, which are no longer preserved, stood at today's Biebrich Ostbahnhof, at the Hochheim/Delkenheim junction and in Flörsheim.
With the incorporation of the Kurmainz villages on the right bank of the Rhine into the Nassau principality in 1803, the Landwehr lost its purpose. Most of the ditches were leveled, the hedges were cut down, and the control rooms were left to decay.
In 1999, the interior of the Erbenheimer Warte was refurbished with wooden steps and floors and in the following years, on the initiative of the Friends of the Erbenheimer Wartturm in the Gesellschaft für Heimatgeschichte Kastel e.V., it was thoroughly restored. In 2007, the third complete renovation was carried out with extensive exterior repairs; in 2012, further renovation work was identified.
The Erbenheimer Warte serves as a venue for art exhibitions and for music and song performances during Advent.