Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Bierstadter Warte

The Bierstadter Warte was built in 1473/74 by Count Johann II of Nassau-Idstein (1419-1480) to protect his territory as a watchtower against the Electorate of Mainz. From 1600, the watchtower adorned the Bierstadt court seal.

After the tower had lost its purpose over the course of time, it was left to decay. The Wiesbaden Beautification Association, which acquired the tower and some surrounding plots in 1869, had it extensively renovated in 1894.

A staircase was installed and the visitors' terrace was given a glass roof construction to protect it from the weather. Chestnut trees were planted and the Wartturm restaurant with hall and music pavilion was built. This created the conditions for a popular excursion destination, which was also used by clubs for their celebrations. On 01.06.1930, a celebration was held here to mark the liberation of the Rhineland and the withdrawal of the Allied occupying troops.

The restaurant was destroyed in the night of the bombing on February 2/3, 1945; only the tower remained. It has not been accessible since then. The street names "Wartestraße" and "Am Wartturm" commemorate the former guard and signal tower.

Literature

The waiting tower on the Hainerberg. In: Wiesbadener Leben 6/1976 [p. 20].

Renkhoff, Otto: Wiesbaden im Mittelalter, Wiesbaden 1980 (Geschichte der Stadt Wiesbaden 2) [p. 137 ff].

The Wartturm is Bierstadt's landmark. In: Erbenheimer Anzeiger, August 1989.

watch list

Explanations and notes