Kloppenheim
In the 1980s, Neolithic waste pits and corresponding shards were found to the west of Kloppenheim. Excavations in the 1990s unearthed fragments of pottery vessels and numerous butchery waste. Roman-era shard finds and wall remains in the Seel district, which are interpreted as relics of a Roman farmstead, show that the Romans were also present in Kloppenheim. In the 3rd century AD, Germanic tribes and later Alamanni lived here before they were driven out by the Franks towards the end of the 5th century. Franconian graves were discovered not far from the excavation site in 1999, which probably date back to the 6th century.
In the 1980s, Neolithic garbage pits and corresponding shards were found to the west of Kloppenheim. Excavations in the 1990s unearthed fragments of pottery vessels and numerous pieces of butchery waste. Roman-era shard finds and wall remains in the Seel district, which are interpreted as relics of a Roman farmstead, show that the Romans were also present in Kloppenheim. In the 3rd century AD, Germanic tribes and later Alamanni lived here before they were driven out by the Franks towards the end of the 5th century. Franconian graves were discovered not far from the excavation site in 1999, which probably date back to the 6th century.
In 1355, Kloppenheim was part of a settlement for Count Ruprecht zu Nassau, who resided at Sonnenberg Castle; from then on, it belonged to the lordship or office of Sonnenberg. In 1488, Count Philipp zu Nassau-Saarbrücken transferred his share of Sonnenberg with Kloppenheim to Knight Philipp von Bicken. In 1605, Kloppenheim became part of the Lordship of Wiesbaden, in 1787 it became part of the Oberamt and in 1816 it became part of the Amt and in 1866 it became part of the district of Wiesbaden. In 1355, Kloppenheim is mentioned in the Weistum of the Lordship of Wiesbaden. The forest districts of Hacken, Auslag and Hockenberg as well as Trockenborn, Sausulg and Theiß am Kellerskopf belonged to Kloppenheim.
Around 1200, the high court in Kloppenheim was owned by the Lords of Eppstein and finally passed to Nassau in 1441. There is evidence of an aldermen's court in 1381. It met at the church and was obliged to appear at the Wiesbaden court on certain dates around 1500. In 1500, Counts Adolf III of Nassau-Wiesbaden and Johann Ludwig I of Nassau-Saarbrücken planned to build a gallows on the Hockenberg between the Kloppenheim and Igstadt forests, but this failed due to objections from the Eppstein, Usingen and Wiesbaden authorities. Kloppenheim was fortified with a moat and a hedge, into which the gate on the Vorderstraße, the Pfahltor and the Stiehltor led. In 1462, Kloppenheim was burnt down in a dispute over the Archbishopric of Mainz under Archbishop Diether von Isenburg with the Count of Nassau.
In 1543, the Reformation was introduced under Count Philipp III. The first Protestant pastor in Kloppenheim was Gerlach Bidencap, who remained in office until 1575. The parish also included the villages of ➞ Auringen, Heßloch and Naurod.
There was a mill in Kloppenheim as early as 1344. In 1564, Count Philipp zu Nassau authorized the construction of another one, the Ohlenmühle. There was also the Pflanzenmühle at the end of Heßlocher Straße and the Hockenberger Mühle in the direction of Auringen. The latter goes back to the Hockenhaus mentioned in a document from 1467; in a drawing from 1580, the building resembles a watchtower. The Hockenberger Mühle ceased to operate around 1955 and is now replaced by the inn of the same name.
The oldest school in Kloppenheim dates back to 1578 and was financed from a former altar property and its accessories. The teacher was in charge of the bell office and also taught the children of Heßloch and Auringen. The school property consisted of around four acres of farmland, two meadows, a herb garden and a small garden for kitchen herbs near the school dwelling. A new school was built in 1749, which later housed the town hall. In 1899/1900, a new school was built and a third teaching post was created. The old building became the home of a kindergarten.
Kloppenheim also suffered during the Thirty Years' War and the subsequent plague parades. In 1644, the village was plundered by the Bavarians. After 1672, the plundering and quartering was repeated; in 1674, around 8,000 warriors were camped in the area. They devastated the fields; there was a famine and an outbreak of dysentery, which claimed the lives of 40 people. The three bells of the church were smashed by soldiers and the inhabitants fled to Wiesbaden. The people of Kloppenheim also fled to the spa town in the fall of 1688.
Around 100 years later, Kloppenheim was affected by the battles for the fortress of Mainz from 1792 to 1799, and 13 Prussian soldiers were buried in the local churchyard. Kloppenheim was successively occupied by French, Prussian and then French troops. When the school and town hall were stormed in 1797, the school and parish records kept there were burnt. The retreat of French troops and the Cossacks who followed them brought further hardship and terror in 1813.
The origins of the Bleidenstadt parish estate in Kloppenheim date back to 1076. A chapel dedicated to St. Ferrutius has existed here since 1321 at the latest. The age of the parish church is unknown; its tower, a fortified tower, probably dates from the 11th/12th century. Bleidenstadt Abbey was in charge of Kloppenheim until 1705 and had a new rectory built towards the end of the 17th century. In 1705, the right to appoint the parish and the duty to maintain the church and parish were transferred to Nassau. The church was extended between 1706 and 1708, and the townspeople had to provide manual labor during construction. An organ was purchased in 1711.
The community lived from fruit and grain cultivation and dairy farming; the cultivation of wine had not been common since the early modern period. In 1819, Kloppenheim had 49 farmers, 27 day laborers, three distillers and three grocers, one baker, one coarse blacksmith, one linen weaver, one tailor and one cooper, two millers, one oil miller, two carpenters, two shoemakers, two wainwrights, two innkeepers and one carpenter. This trade structure changed considerably by 1870: Kloppenheimers now increasingly sought work and income in Wiesbaden, Mainz, Höchst or with the Reichsbahn. By the end of the 19th century, around 50% of them worked in agriculture and 25% each in the trades and as workers or day laborers. In 1930, around a third still worked in agriculture, just under half were workers and the rest were self-employed and civil servants. The first tractor came to Kloppenheim in 1951, and from 1960 onwards every farm had at least one tractor, while farm horses disappeared. In 2009, there were 154 commercial enterprises in Kloppenheim, of which around 11 were full-time farmers.
In 1817, the following municipal buildings were counted in Kloppenheim: the town hall at the churchyard, shepherd's house, bakehouse, gatehouse, pump house and seven wells. In 1819, the shepherd's house was demolished. From 1825, a new cemetery was built to the north of the village. A new fire station was built in 1830. From 1836, the municipality had paths and roads in the village as well as the traffic connections to the neighboring communities of Auringen, Bierstadt and Igstadt expanded. The sewage system was also improved. In 1846, the municipal employees were the mayor, municipal servant, field guard and night watchman.
The "revolutionary" events of 1848 also affected Kloppenheim. Four weeks after the stormy events of March, the inhabitants founded a citizens' militia. A major flood is reported on 08.07.1875.
In 1630 there were 66 houses or hearths in Kloppenheim. In 1684, the number of inhabitants was 237. In 1820, there were 481 inhabitants in 135 households. In 1927 there were 907 people. In 1947, Kloppenheim had 1,223 inhabitants. There were 19 deaths in the First World War and around 75 inhabitants died in the Second World War, as well as three Russian forced laborers who were murdered by the Gestapo. After 1945, Kloppenheim grew considerably, particularly due to displaced persons, mainly from the Czech Republic. In 2015, there were 2,303 inhabitants living in 1,066 households. The large brick houses in Heßlocher Straße were built after the First World War. One year after being incorporated into Wiesbaden on 01.04.1928, Kloppenheim was connected to Wiesbaden's water, gas and electricity supply.
During the bombing raid on Wiesbaden on 02.02.1945, the village was badly hit and seven inhabitants died. 16 buildings were totally destroyed or severely damaged. After 1945, building activity was initially limited to filling gaps between buildings. In 1956, the Rose Hall, which had been badly damaged during the war, was renovated and converted into the "municipal gymnasium". The "Old Town Hall" at Oberstraße 11, which housed the kindergarten until 1951 and then the local administration and police station until 1971, became a meeting place for clubs. Social housing was built in Heßlocher Straße opposite Ernst-Göbel-Schule in 1960, on Schnitterweg in 1970 and finally on Pfortenstraße around 1990. In 1972, a kindergarten was built in Pfarrstraße and in 1974 the new fire station was built on the former site of the Kloppenheim brickworks and two years later the Wäschbach was diverted into underground pipes. At the same time, Bachstraße and the "Promenadenweg" were built along the canalized watercourse. New sewers, gas and water pipes were laid and all roads in the old village area were widened. These extensive construction measures, which were made possible by the state's village renewal program, lasted until 1990.
In the 1980s, the sports field with a clubhouse (1982-84), the indoor riding arena below Pfortenstraße (1987) and the Protestant parish hall (1989) were built. In 2002, the former community barn next to the "Old Town Hall" was converted into the Heimatverein's home barn. The oldest association in Kloppenheim is the male choral society, founded in 1859. In 2009, there were 18 associations in Kloppenheim, with the Heimatverein and its Heimatscheune, founded in 1998, being the last major association to be founded to date.
Literature
Neese, Bernd-Michael: History of Wiesbaden-Kloppenheim 1792-1860. Outlines of a local history, Wiesbaden 2003.
Commemorative publication for the 1050th anniversary. Vereinsring Kloppenheim (ed.), Wiesbaden-Kloppenheim 1977.
Thousand-year anniversary of the community of Kloppenheim, Wiesbaden-Bierstadt 1927.