Jump to content
Districts and suburbs

Hessloch

There was a prehistoric settlement near Heßloch and later a Frankish settlement. The name is made up of the words "Hasel" and "Loch" in the old sense of Buschwald (Loh). The forest (silva) Heseloch is first mentioned in a document from 1221, which describes the boundaries of the land belonging to the Bierstadt Fronhof. Further documentary mentions in 1252 and 1257 are connected with disputes between the St. Jacob's Monastery in Mainz, which had property here, and the knight Gottfried von Biegen. In 1393, "Hanmann von Heseloch and Katharina his landlady" received the Lindenthaler Hof (located in Heßloch or Bierstadt) as a hereditary fief. According to an entry from 1411, "the heirs of Pritsche Lang von Klop(p)heim" had to pay interest from an estate in Heßloch.

The Lords of Eppstein held high jurisdiction, serfs and various other rights in Heßloch, which they ceded to the Counts of Nassau in 1441. From this time onwards, the small village belonged to the lordship of Wiesbaden. In 1512, a document mentions the court of Heßloch "in den Bannzäunen". The municipality had hardly any shares in the forest, more than half of which surrounded the Heßloch district. From 1524, however, Hessloch was a member of the Markgenossenschaft zur Wiesbadener Höhe or Mitmärker and thus received rights of use in the Taunus forests to the north of Wiesbaden. At the beginning of the 19th century, an approx. 200-acre piece of forest in the Kellerskopf district of Stielheck was added to the Heßloch district and in 1839 the Steinkopf forest district to the north.

Heßloch was the smallest municipality in the dominion of Wiesbaden. Together with the people of Kloppenheim, the inhabitants were conscripted to work for the Counts of Nassau in Wiesbaden as well as for the Nassau-Weilburg dominion from 1524. From 1543, Kloppenheim was the parish responsible for Heßloch. The birth, marriage and death records of the people of Hessloch have been recorded there since the beginning of the Kloppenheim church registers in 1610. Since the expansion of the Kloppenheim church in 1706/1708, 1/6 of the nave belonged to the parish of Hessloch. The inhabitants had to contribute to the maintenance costs in the same proportion. It was not until 1825 that Hessloch had its own cemetery. Since the end of the Second World War, the Kloppenheim priests have held services in the Hessloch school. In 1976, a parish hall was built for this purpose and a bell tower was added in 1995.

Hessloch also belonged to Kloppenheim in terms of schooling for a long time; until 1728, the children of Hessloch attended the local school, 1/6 of whose maintenance costs the municipality had to contribute. According to the school chronicle of Hessloch, the then mayor Johann Andreas Wex initiated the construction of a two-storey building, which also served as a shepherd's house until the beginning of the 19th century and was equipped with a bell and clock. The teacher's duties included the office of bell ringer. A new school at Steinkopfstraße 12 was opened on October 31, 1869. The number of pupils rose from around 20 at the beginning of the 19th century to 71 in 1910. This year also saw the construction of a new school building in today's Hirschgartenstraße. From then on, the old school served as the town hall. At Easter 1963, the school in Hessloch was closed and the primary school pupils once again attended the "Ernst-Göbel-Schule" in Kloppenheim. The old school building is now private property, the new one houses the kindergarten.

After the Thirty Years' War, the village had only 26 inhabitants. Until the end of the 18th century, there were always fewer than 100 people living here; the number rose to 250 in the 19th century. In 1746, 24 of the 81 inhabitants were landowners who owned a total of 235 acres of farmland, 15 acres of meadows and 8 acres of vineyards. To supplement their meagre livelihood, the farmers also hired themselves out as forest workers. The years 1816 and 1817 were years of severe famine for the village. Hessloch was administered by a mayor, who was assisted by a number of aldermen; the mayor is first mentioned at the beginning of the 16th century. A court seal from the 18th century shows a female figure with a sword and scales. The latter attribute appears again in the coat of arms that the current borough received in 1951.

In 1848, Heßloch was also granted self-government rights and the right to elect a mayor. On 01.04.1928, Heßloch was incorporated into Wiesbaden. The economic structure of the former farming village has changed. The number of milk-producing farms fell to 34 in the final years before the Second World War. At the end of the 20th century, the last full-time farmer gave up his farm. Apart from a few craftsmen and offices of smaller companies, the working people of Hessloch commute to their jobs in Wiesbaden, Frankfurt and the surrounding area. In the decades following the incorporation, the population gradually increased. Due to the influx of refugees after the Second World War, it amounted to over 450 people. Thanks to the ever-improving connection to Wiesbaden, Hessloch became an attractive residential community surrounded by orchards and reached a population of around 700 after new building areas were designated in the 1960s. Despite this growth, the village has been able to retain its rural structure with a lively club life. The club with the most members is the gymnastics and sports club TuS Heßloch 1888 e.V. with almost as many members as inhabitants.

The best-known citizens of Heßloch are the former town councillor Werner Kilian and the former Federal Minister of the Interior Manfred Kanther.

Literature

Schreiber, Alfred: Heßloch - from village to urban district. In: Erbenheim, Igstadt, Bierstadt, Kloppenheim, Heßloch, brochure without date, without publisher.

Heßloch, materials on urban development, Wiesbaden 1992.

watch list

Explanations and notes