Market cellar
Around 1900, master builder Felix Genzmer was commissioned by the city to build a market cellar for storing goods next to the town hall and the market church. The initially planned market hall could not be realized. After years of vacancy since the 1970s, the market cellar was renovated in 1998. In 2016, the new Stadtmuseum am Markt (SAM) opened its exhibition on Wiesbaden's city history here.
For reasons of hygiene and prestige, the construction of a market hall had been demanded since 1893. City architect Felix Genzmer, who was entrusted with the planning, recognized early on that a cellar under the market square was at least partly essential for this, "... in order to be able to accommodate market equipment (tables, light roofing, etc.) and shelters for the vendors and market visitors". In the end, it was agreed that the entire Dern site would have a basement, which was built between 1899 and the end of 1901. Genzmer constructed a cross vault made of yellow brick exclusively for storage purposes. In 1902, the market fountain with its distinctive decorative column was erected on the site, which also served as a ventilation shaft. The market cellar was divided into around 100 compartments, which were separated from each other by iron grilles.
A market cellar regulation stipulated that no goods that could cause an odor nuisance, such as fish, live poultry, meat and cheese, could be stored. It was also forbidden to "light fires, smoke tobacco, traffic with open lights, bring dogs, make any noise, sing, whistle or move around for no purpose, and throw away objects, especially paper, straw, fruit peelings, vegetable waste, etc.".
After decades of vacancy, the vaults were completely renovated in 1998 at a cost of around DM 12 million. After the newly built Café Lumen was opened at the entrance to the vaulted cellars the following year, a small market hall was set up in the market cellar, where around 30 stalls offered international specialties, delicatessen, food, flowers, fruit and vegetables. However, this weekly market had to close in 2007 due to a lack of demand. In summer 2012, the market cellar, now leased to the operators of Café Lumen as the "Marktgewölbe", was extensively modernized and a 1,300 m2 event space was set up for trade fairs, exhibitions and celebrations. In September 2016, the new SAM, Stadtmuseum am Markt, was opened in the Marktkeller.
Literature
- Förderverein Stadtmuseum Wiesbaden e.V. (Hrsg.)
The Marktkeller Wiesbaden. Stadtmuseum am Markt, with texts by Holger Stunz, Peter Schabe (and others), Wiesbaden 2016.
- Schabe, Peter
Felix Genzmer - Architect of Late Historicism in Wiesbaden. Early creative years 1881 - 1903, published by the Historical Commission for Nassau 62, Wiesbaden 1997.