Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Armada Estate

The origins of the Armada estate near Frauenstein are shrouded in mystery. It was first mentioned in 1317 as "Hof zur Armenruh"; around this time it came into the possession of the lower noble family of the Knights of Lindau as a fief of the Counts of Nassau. Knight Siegfried von Lindau built a chapel dedicated to St. Catherine in 1341 and endowed it for a priest. Judicial rights were associated with the knight's seat. It has been mentioned in sources as the "Turm zur Armut" since 1427; the tower was fortified with a moat and its remains are said to have still been visible in the 18th century.

After the Thirty Years' War, the Lords of Lindau built a new farm not far from the old one and called it Hof Armada. This estate changed hands frequently from 1663 onwards. From 1678-1813 it belonged to the von der Leyen family. In 1832, the stables and barns were destroyed by fire, making it necessary to rebuild the estate from scratch.

After the estate was acquired by the Nassau Domain Administration, it was temporarily managed by Prince Nikolaus Wilhelm zu Nassau. The residential building was rebuilt in 1856 and leased to a Prussian cavalry captain in 1867. In 1919-29, the estate was confiscated by the French.

Hofgut Armada remained state property until 2011, when it was sold and is now used as a stud farm.

Literature

Dehio, Georg: Handbook of German Art Monuments. Hesse II. The administrative district of Darmstadt, edited by Folkhard Cremer [et al.], Munich, Berlin 2008.

Meuer, August Heinrich: Geschichte von Dorf und Burg Frauenstein nebst Nachrichten über die Höfe Armada, Gorod, Nürnberg, Rosenköppel und Sommerberg. A local history book, Wiesbaden 1930.

Collection of newspaper clippings from the Wiesbaden city archives, "Hofgut Armada".

watch list

Explanations and notes