Wiesbaden Chamber of Crafts
On June 24, 1897, the German Reichstag passed the Act on the Amendment of the Industrial Code (also known as the "Craftsmen's Act"), which, among other things, ordered the establishment of chambers of crafts (HWK). Their most important task was to regulate the apprenticeship system, in particular the supervision of the relevant regulations and the appointment of examination boards to conduct journeyman's examinations. The highest body of the Chamber of Crafts was the general assembly, whose members were initially elected by the trade associations and guilds. In Prussia, the Chamber of Crafts districts were identical to the administrative districts. The business of the Chamber of Skilled Crafts for the Wiesbaden administrative district, based in Wiesbaden, was managed by the board of directors under the leadership of a chairman and with the support of a full-time secretary (Syndikus). On May 15, 1901, the general assembly elected Heinrich Schneider, a master carpenter from Wiesbaden, as chairman (from 1926: president) and Albert Schröder, also from Wiesbaden, as secretary, who remained in office until 1927. Schneider was followed by master butcher Adolf Jung from Frankfurt in 1910 and master carpenter Hermann Carstens from Wiesbaden in 1915. As early as 1909, the Chamber of Crafts in Wiesbaden organized the exhibition for crafts and trades, art and horticulture, which attracted attention far beyond the region's borders and attracted over 1.5 million visitors. It did not receive its own building until 1919, when it acquired the building at Nikolasstraße 41 (now Bahnhofstraße). On October 15, 1911, the Chamber of Crafts and the Guild Committee established a Crafts Office in Wiesbaden; further Crafts Offices followed in Frankfurt am Main (1913), Limburg (1920) and Bad Homburg (1920). Their activities extended to advising craftsmen in legal, tax and economic matters. The Wiesbaden Crafts Office was dissolved on 01.04.1923. Its tasks were taken over by the Chamber of Crafts. The remaining crafts offices subsequently developed into branches of the HWK. In 1932, the chamber district was enlarged by the incorporation of the district of Wetzlar.
As part of the National Socialists' policy of unification, the plenary assembly and executive committee of the Chamber of Skilled Crafts had to resign and were replaced by supporters or at least sympathizers of the NSDAP. The previous president, master chimney sweep Karl Maier from Wiesbaden, was succeeded by master tinsmith Wilhelm Georg Schmidt from Wiesbaden, who was promoted to Reichshandwerksmeister in 1934 and replaced by master hairdresser Fritz Müller from Wiesbaden. Müller remained in office until the formal dissolution of the Chamber of Skilled Crafts, which was absorbed into the Gauwirtschaftskammer Rhein-Main on January 1, 1943. The law on the provisional organization of the German skilled crafts sector of 29.11.1933 took away the independence of the chambers of skilled crafts as self-governing bodies of the skilled crafts sector. From then on, the Führerprinzip also officially applied. In addition, the Chamber of Skilled Crafts was placed under the supervision of the Reich Minister of Economics. What comforted many craftsmen in the face of this appropriation was the introduction of the "Great Certificate of Competence" (master craftsman's certificate) by law on 18.01.1935. It allowed only master craftsmen and those of equal status to run craft businesses. The Chamber of Skilled Crafts was reorganized even before Germany's capitulation.
On April 16, 1945, the reconstruction committee, in agreement with the American military government, appointed the Wiesbaden master painter Karl Schöppler as temporary president of the Chamber of Skilled Crafts. He remained in office until 1978. As its building in Bahnhofstraße had been confiscated by the Americans, the Chamber of Crafts had to temporarily perform its duties in very cramped conditions at Friedrichstraße 27. Far more serious, however, was the fact that the American military government had revoked the status of the chambers of crafts as public corporations by directive dated November 29, 1948. They only regained their former legal basis through the Crafts Code Act of 23.09.1953, the so-called Basic Law of Crafts, which also reintroduced the Great Certificate of Competence. After 1945, the boundaries of the district of the Chamber of Skilled Crafts were redrawn. As part of the administrative reform and the merger of the Frankfurt and Darmstadt Chambers of Skilled Crafts, the Wiesbaden Chamber of Skilled Crafts had to cede the Main-Taunus district and the Hochtaunus district to the newly founded HWK Rhein-Main in 1979, so that today its district includes the city of Wiesbaden, the Rheingau-Taunus district, the Limburg-Weilburg district, the Lahn-Dill district, the Giessen district, the Vogelsberg district, the Wetterau district and the Main-Kinzig district. The chamber building in Bahnhofstraße was extensively renovated and extended in 1955.
In 1968, the Chamber of Crafts built a Vocational Training and Technology Center (BTZ) in Wiesbaden's Brunhildenstraße, to which a boarding school was added in 1974. In 1978, it was renamed "Karl-Schöppler-Haus". In the same year, the H. opened a second BTZ in Wetzlar, today's "Arnold-Spruck-Haus", named after Chamber President Spruck from Nidda. In 2003, another BTZ was added at Moltkering in Wiesbaden for basic and advanced training in the metal sector, today's "Robert-Werner-Haus". At the beginning of 2004, the Chamber of Crafts moved into a new administration building at Bierstadter Straße 45 in Wiesbaden. Today (31.12.2014), the Chamber of Skilled Crafts looks after around 25,500 member companies.
Literature
5 years of the Chamber of Crafts for the administrative district of Wiesbaden. Written on behalf of the Chamber of Crafts by the Chamber's scientific assistant Dr. E. Bruch, Wiesbaden 1925.
100 years of the Wiesbaden Chamber of Crafts 1900-2000, Wiesbaden 2000.