Wilhelm von Opel Tower
In 1879, the Taunus-Klub built the wooden Kellerskopf observation tower on the highest point of the 475 m high Kellerskopf. The inauguration of the approximately 20 m high octagonal tower took place on 06.06.1880. It had an internal spiral staircase, a cantilevered viewing platform and a staggered storey with a flagpole.
After the wooden tower fell victim to a fire in 1892, the Rhein-Taunus-Klub had a stone observation tower built on the Kellerskopf in 1899 at a cost of around 14,000 marks in the style of a rectangular medieval keep. The plans for the tower, which is around 18 meters high, were drawn up by the architect Karl Mohr. An adjoining wooden service hall soon no longer met the requirements and was supplemented by a half-timbered building in 1905.
On the night of June 14-15, 1928, the wooden extensions burned down and the tower was damaged. However, thanks to the support of Wilhelm von Opel with 5,000 RM, the foundation stone for a new stone farm building was laid in 1932 and the festive inauguration took place just one year later, on April 30, 1933. In 1985-89, the Wilhelm von Opel Tower had to be closed due to dilapidation; after renovation, a primitive wooden hut covered the access to the viewing platform.
In the 1990s, the unlawful installation of mobile phone antennas on the listed tower caused legal disputes. A settlement was reached in 2003 to hide the antennas in a "pavilion-like" replacement building. The tower's viewing platform was roofed over and crowned with a rectangular wooden box.
Literature
Becht, Alwin: The cellar head. In: 650 years of Naurod [p. 141].