Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Observation towers

The development of the surrounding forests for recreational purposes is primarily due to the Wiesbaden Beautification Association, founded in 1856. The creation of a network of paths, the creation and design of scenic spots and viewpoints was one of the main concerns of the association, which was also supported by the Wiesbaden Rhine-Taunus Club.

In 1865, the first viewing scaffolds and tree altars were erected at suitable locations, e.g. at Entenpfuhl, which did not last very long due to their simple wooden construction. The wooden towers erected on the Kellerskopf in 1879/80 and on the Schläferskopf in 1883 did not have a long life either. The Gustav Vietor Tower, built in 1883 using similar construction principles but made of iron, did survive until 2006.

Only the observation towers built entirely in stone(Kaiser-Wilhelm-Turm, Wilhelm von Opel-Turm and Goethe-Warte) still bear witness to the civic commitment of their builders at the time.

It was not until 1981 that a new wooden observation tower was built near the Frauenstein Goethe Stone at the instigation of the local advisory council and with the support of the Technical Relief Organization and the City of Wiesbaden. In the meantime, it had to be closed for several years due to its dilapidation and required constant maintenance. From the tower, you have an excellent view of Frauenstein and the Rheingau.

watch list

Explanations and notes