Rossel, Schwarz & Co.
On April 1, 1897, pharmacist Peter Anton Stoss, mechanic Oskar Schwarz and Josef Rossel († 1901) founded a company in Dotzheim for the "manufacture and sale of apparatus for therapeutic gymnastics". In 1898, the businessman Max Berger joined the company as a new partner for Oskar Schwarz. In 1901, production was moved to Mainzer Strasse, where the factory halls built in 1891, a two-storey residential building and a stable building of the former margarine factory Cron & Scheffel were used. The last founder, Stoss, left the business in 1904. Berger, now the sole owner, acquired the patents of the Swedish doctor Gustav Zander and the Viennese physician Max Herz.
The licenses to manufacture the therapeutic gymnastics equipment secured the company a monopoly position for decades. It expanded rapidly and exported its products all over the world. The company also supplied large companies such as BASF, Farbwerke Höchst and Krupp, which had set up gymnastics rooms for their workers and employees. By 1912, the company comprised numerous workshops such as a paint shop, joinery, locksmith's shop and forge, which now employed 120 people. A network of foreign branches had also been established. Rossel, Schwarz & Co. maintained a branch office at Chelsea Park in New York. On July 8, 1922, the company was converted into a stock corporation. Berger and the company's former authorized signatory, Hugo Würzburger, formed the board of directors. Rossel, Schwarz & Co. realigned its product range and now also produced hot air and sports equipment. After Würzburger left the company in 1929, Hans Berger, Max Berger's son, and Rudolf Maas from Alzey joined the company. As the Berger family was Jewish, they were expropriated by the National Socialists in 1939 and the business was transferred to Julius August Vermehren on September 29, 1939. The Berger family, who had tried to emigrate, were murdered in Auschwitz in 1942.
After the end of the war, Vermehren was replaced by Rudolf Maas in 1951, who had the parts of the factory destroyed during the war demolished and replaced with new office and sales premises. From 1967, Wilhelm Hepfer managed the company as a limited company until the 1980s. In the following decades, the owners operated the MEZ furniture center and later the Thomas-Wohn-Center on the company premises. In 2009, the then owner Lutz Thomas closed the business.
Literature
Spiegel, Margit: Wiesbaden company letterheads. Views of buildings on business letters and invoices. 50 further short portraits of companies and hotels, vol. 2, Wiesbaden 2011 [pp. 109-112].