P. A. Stoss Nachfolger, owner Max Helfferich (medical supplies)
In 1892, the pharmacist Peter Anton Stoss founded a store for nursing articles, medical furniture and medical instruments, which was renamed "P. A. Stoss - Medizinisches Warenhaus und Gummifabrikate" after the opening of an orthopaedic workshop in 1899.
By selling innovative medical instruments and chemotherapeutic agents for the treatment of syphilis, the family business grew into an internationally active company at the beginning of the 20th century, eventually offering the furnishing of entire medical practices and training courses for doctors in its own radiology laboratory. In the orthopaedic workshops, the employees specialized in the development of wheelchairs for the sick.
After 1900, the company was also active in the areas of brewery and wine-press articles as well as rubber, metal and glass production and also survived the crisis years of the First World War and the occupation period.
After the destruction of the business premises at the corner of Taunusstrasse and Wilhelmstrasse in February 1945, the medical supply store was rebuilt at Taunusstrasse 33/35 and was temporarily located at Kreuzberger Ring 36 under the company name P. A. Stoss Nachfolger GmbH, Spezialhaus für ärztlichen und Krankenhaus-Bedarf.
The company moved to Saarbrücken in 2011.
Literature
Spiegel, Margit: Wiesbadener Firmenbriefköpfe aus der Kaiserzeit 1871-1914. Fabrik- und Hotelansichten auf Geschäftsschreiben und Rechnungen. 50 examples with brief company portraits, vol. 1, Wiesbaden 2003 [p. 137 ff.].