Neroberghotel
On 01.08.1881, a restaurant with a beer garden and overnight accommodation was opened on the Neroberg. It soon became a popular excursion destination for the people of Wiesbaden and tourists.
The Neroberghotel was extended for the first time in 1887. In addition to further guest rooms, it was given a lobby and, as a special attraction, an approx. 15 m high observation tower. The construction of the Nerobergbahn in 1888 gave the Neroberghotel a major boost. In 1897, the building was rebuilt and extended again according to plans by Wiesbaden city architect Felix Genzmer. Within two years, he transformed it into a prestigious luxury hotel in the style of late historicism with an excursion café, music pavilion and other amenities. The conversion was crowned by raising the viewing tower to almost 30 meters. In 1907, the Neroberghotel was connected to the city's electricity grid and in 1909 it received central heating. Extended and modernized once again in 1911, the Neroberghotel survived the First World War and was able to build on its pre-war success. In the 1920s, the first Russian Nobel Prize winner Ivan Alexeyevich Bunin, among others, stayed here.
The great era of the Neroberghotel came to an end with the Second World War. The building was claimed by the Wehrmacht and NSDAP. After the war, the US armed forces used the property, which was hardly damaged by the bombing raids, as an officers' mess and as accommodation for senior officers. In 1956, they returned the Neroberghotel, which was in poor condition, to Wiesbaden. In 1965, the hotel ceased to operate and only the café remained.
At the beginning of the 1970s, the Federal Criminal Police Office temporarily used the building, in 1975-78 the music venue "Nero" opened its doors here, and from 1979-84 it was available as the "Nero Musikpalast" for bands and groups to rehearse. The buildings gradually fell into disrepair. Two arson attacks in 1986 and 1989 did the rest. The remains of the former luxury hotel were demolished. All that remains is the observation tower, which is no longer accessible and is part of the café that has been reopened on the Neroberg.
Literature
Blisch, Bernd: Kleine Wiesbadener Stadtgeschichte, Regensburg 2011 [p. 91].
Spiegel, Margit: Wiesbaden company letterheads. Views of buildings on business letters and invoices. 50 further short portraits of companies and hotels, vol. 2, Wiesbaden 2011 [pp. 72-77].