Goetz, Theodor
Goetz, Theodor
Architect
born: 28.02.1806 in Wiesbaden
died: 30.10.1885 in Wiesbaden
Goetz was the son of the building director and master builder Carl Florian Goetz. He studied architecture at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich from 1824. In 1828 he entered the Nassau state service, was taken over by the Prussian administration in 1866 and achieved the position of senior building officer during his career.
Among the master builders of Romantic Historicism, he was less prominent than Carl Boos or Philipp Hoffmann, but like Richard Görz and Alexander Fach, he can be considered important for the creation of individual buildings.
He was responsible for the construction of the Paulinenschlösschen, built in 1842-45, which was destroyed in 1945. He also built the Old Spa House in Bad Soden-Salmünster in 1849 and the English Church(Church of St. Augustine of Canterbury) was built according to his plans in the neo-Gothic style in 1863-64 on Frankfurter Strasse. Also worth mentioning are the two cascading fountains from 1855 in Bowling Green in front of the Kurhaus, which were created according to his designs.
Goetz retired in 1867. He received various awards, including the Knight's Cross of the Order of the Duke of Nassau Adolf.
Literature
Kiesow, Gottfried: From Classicism to Romanticism. The architectural development in Nassau. In: Duchy of Nassau, exhibition catalog [pp. 305-329].
Renkhoff, Otto: Nassau Biography. Kurzbiographien aus 13 Jahrhunderten, 2nd ed., Wiesbaden 1992 (Veröffentlichungen der Historischen Kommission für Nassau 39) [pp. 237 f.].