Church of St. Augustine of Canterbury, Wiesbaden (English church)
As early as 1836, British visitors to the spa town of Wiesbaden met to hold Anglican services. As the congregation grew rapidly, Duke Adolph zu Nassau made a plot of land available for the construction of a church in 1844.
The building, built in a simple neo-Gothic style in brick and sandstone according to plans by senior building officer Theodor Goetz, was consecrated on July 22, 1865 by the Archbishop of Armagh (Ireland), who was responsible for overseeing all foreign congregations. The Church of St. Augustine of Canterbury Wiesbaden was named after St. Augustine, who was sent from Rome to England in 597 by Pope Gregory the Great to convert the English and later became the first Archbishop of Canterbury. The bell tower and aisle were built in 1887/88 according to plans by architect Friedrich Lang.
With the outbreak of the First World War, the British inhabitants left Wiesbaden. Until the early 1920s, the church was used by American worshippers and the Lutheran Trinity congregation. Shortly before the Second World War, the foreign population left Wiesbaden again and the city's resident lawyer W. Adolph was appointed administrator of the church. During a bombing raid in February 1945, the Church of St. Augustine of Canterbury was badly damaged. After the war, it briefly served as temporary accommodation for American troops. In 1950, the Americans had it restored and used it as a military chapel until October 1955.
In 1955, the city of Wiesbaden returned the church to the Anglican Church. Since then, the bishop of the American churches in Europe has been responsible for it. In 1966, the church burned down almost completely due to a defect in the heating system. After restoration, it was rededicated on January 22, 1967.
The congregation is made up of people of many nationalities. Most of the approximately 220 parishioners come from the United Kingdom, the USA and Germany. Services are held in the Anglican tradition and in English.
Literature
Norman, Hilary: The English Church in Wiesbaden. A History, Taunusstein 2003.