Oraniendenkmal
The "Oraniendenkmal" on Luisenplatz commemorates the 1st Nassau Artillery Regiment No. 27 Oranien and was unveiled in 1934.
The regiment was newly formed in 1866 under the name "Hessian Field Artillery Regiment No. 11" from the former Nassau "Artillery Division" and various batteries from Electoral Hesse and Prussia. In 1874 the name was changed to "Nassau Artillery Regiment No. 27", and in 1902 the designation "Oranien" was added. The garrisons were Wiesbaden, Kastel, Mainz and Frankfurt. In Wiesbaden, initially four and later five batteries were housed in the artillery barracks at the corner of Rheinstraße and Kirchgasse, then in the Gersdorff barracks built between 1908 and 1911 on Schiersteiner Straße and Westerwaldstraße.
The plans and fundraising for the erection of a memorial date back to 1926. Until the end of 1925, Wiesbaden had been occupied by French troops, against whom the regiment had fought from 1914 to 1918. Donations were mainly made at gatherings of veterans who had taken part in the First World War as members of the regiment. After invitations to tender failed to produce a suitable result, the renowned Berlin sculptor Prof. Dr. Paul Scheurich was commissioned with the planning. In 1933/34, he created the bronze sculpture of the rearing horse on a base of Main sandstone. This posture of the powerful animal was intended to represent a parable for the reawakening national sentiment and at the same time remind us of the horse as a loyal comrade of the artilleryman.
The inscriptions on the plinth refer to the engagements and battles fought by the regiment and its offspring regiments during the First World War. The missions of the regiment's Nassau predecessors, who fought in Baden and Schleswig-Holstein in 1848/49 and against Prussia in 1866, are not commemorated, nor are the missions in France during the war of 1870/71.
An artillery emblem adorns the front of the plinth; a plaque was added here in 1989 to commemorate the resistance fighter Hermann Kaiser, who was one of the most enthusiastic initiators of the memorial and gave the speech at the unveiling on October 21, 1934. The stonemasonry work was carried out by Wilhelm Möbus from Zollhaus, while the masonry work was done by the Wiesbaden companies Karl Spitz and Peter Ochs. The location of Luisenpatz was not without controversy, but the city councillors finally agreed and also provided a subsidy towards the construction costs.
Literature
- Wilhelmi, Ludwig Karl
History of the Royal Prussian 1st Nassau Field Artillery Regiment No. 27 Oranien from 1833 to 1909. Wiesbaden 1910.
- Kaiser, Hermann
Commemorative publication on the occasion of the dedication of the monument of the 1st Nassau Field Artillery Regiment No. 27 Oranien, Wiesbaden 1934 (pp. 91-101).