Orthopaedic Clinic Wiesbaden
The Orthopaedic Clinic Wiesbaden goes back to an initiative of the Association for Cripple Prevention, which was founded in Wiesbaden in 1909. In 1910, an orthopaedic children's hospital with 20 beds was established at Mozartstraße 8. In 1919, thanks to a donation from the industrialist Otto Leverkus from Wiesbaden, a house was rented between today's Biebricher Allee and Mosbacher Straße, to which the children's sanatorium was relocated and the number of beds was increased to 45.
On May 15, 1920, the association took over the Villa Ostermann in Biebricher Allee and set up an orthopaedic clinic with 80 beds. It was named the Alfred-Erich-Heim after the founder's sons who died in the First World War and was mainly used for surgical cases. In 1923, an extension with 25 beds was added to the Alfred-Erich-Heim. It was managed by Dr. Paul Guradze and, after his death in 1924, Dr. Joseph Borggreve, whose scientific work in the rehabilitation treatment of polio and tuberculosis patients was internationally recognized.
During the Second World War, the Orthopaedic Clinic served as a military hospital. Almost completely destroyed by bombs in February 1945, it was temporarily reopened under the management of Dr. Cornelius Volk on 11.11.1946, first in Bad Schwalbach and then in Hochheim in 1947. A new building on the old site on Biebricher Allee was opened in 1955 with 132 beds and two operating theaters. From 1953, the Wiesbaden Orthopaedic Clinic was run by the Hesse State Welfare Association. In 1973, Prof. Dr. Joachim Eichler and in 1996 Prof. Dr. Joachim Pfeil took over the management.
The building was extended and renovated several times between 1970-84. Since 1990, there have been recommendations to incorporate the Orthopaedic Clinic Wiesbaden into St. Josefs-Hospital, which took over sponsorship in 2000. In March 2004, the clinic finally moved to the Beethovenstrasse site.
Literature
Eichler, Joachim: The history of orthopaedics in Wiesbaden. In: Orthopädische Praxis 4/XI, Baden Baden 1975 [pp. 203-208].
Newspaper clippings collection of the Wiesbaden city archives, "Orthopädische Klinik Wiesbaden".