Neroberg Temple
The Neroberg was already a popular place for festivities at the beginning of the 19th century. This gave rise to the idea of erecting a viewing temple with a dance floor on its hilltop and creating a place for public games and gymnastics festivals. Supported by several citizens, the merchant Gottfried Ruß (also known as Ruhs) applied to the local council in February 1849 for permission to build such a temple. He was helped by the fact that the conversion of the street lighting in Wilhelmstrasse and Luisenstrasse from oil to gas had made the sandstone pillars of the oil lamps superfluous and they could be put to another use. The first "citizens' initiative" was initially unsuccessful.
It was not until 1851, when Wilhelm Rücker and 38 other Wiesbaden citizens renewed the proposal to the municipal council, that the then master builder and architect Philipp Hoffmann was commissioned to submit a design for the construction of the temple to the municipal council using the aforementioned sandstone pillars. This design was approved by a specially formed committee and also by the municipal council in May 1851, albeit without any promise of material or financial support. Nevertheless, the inauguration was celebrated on July 24 of the same year, Duke Adolph's birthday.
The circular temple, also known as the "Monopteros", stands on the salvaged sandstone columns and has ten open arches and a hemispherical dome in the style of the early Italian Renaissance. The stepped base originally grew out of artificially heaped rock. A planned rear semi-circular enclosure with a pergola was never built. The hut built instead to serve visitors had to be demolished in 1856 due to dilapidation.
The Neroberg Temple remains a landmark of the town to this day.
Literature
State Office for the Preservation of Monuments, Philipp Hoffmann [p. 151].
Philipp Hoffmann 1806-1889: Ein nassauischer Baumeister, catalog of the exhibition of the state capital Wiesbaden and the Nassauischer Kunstverein Wiesbaden e.V., Wiesbaden 1982 [p. 82 f.].
Struck, Wolf-Heino: Wiesbaden as the Nassau state capital. Teil II: Wiesbaden im Biedermeier (1818-1866), Wiesbaden 1981 (Geschichte der Stadt Wiesbaden Bd. 5) [p. 253].