Mint
As the rooms used for minting coins in the former Franciscan monastery in Limburg were no longer available, the Nassau Ministry decided to relocate the mint to Wiesbaden in 1828. The site on the east side of Luisenplatz/corner of Luisenstraße was chosen.
Master builder Eberhard Philipp Wolff (1773-1843) was responsible for the construction. His design for the building, erected in 1829/30, sought an architecturally satisfying balance between the demands of representation as the corner building of the characteristic square and practicality at the lowest possible cost. The classicist building, whose elongated, symmetrically designed main façade faces Luisenplatz, has two storeys. A flat central risalit with a triangular gable and pilaster arrangement on the upper floor accentuates both the main façade and the façade facing Luisenstrasse. At the southern end of the building was an open entrance with a stone archway. A little later, the former Pädagogium opposite was built in a similar style. The new mint mainly minted crown thalers as well as three- and six-cross pieces. From 1857, the upper floor was mainly used for school purposes. When a steam engine and huge rolling and minting mills were installed in 1860 and a percussion cap factory was set up, the school moved out due to the noise.
After the annexation of the Duchy of Nassau by the Kingdom of Prussia, the mint was closed, as Prussian coins were now valid in the new province of Hesse-Nassau. This meant that the building could once again be used for educational purposes. After the National Socialists came to power, the basement rooms were used as temporary cells from spring to summer 1933, where the SA held political opponents - communists and social democrats - and persecuted Jews prisoner and tortured them barbarically. A plaque commemorates this lawless time. The building was used by the Reichsluftschutzbund until the end of the war.
After the Second World War, the Wiesbaden Administrative Court initially had its headquarters in the building, and since 1988 it has been used by the Hessian Ministry of Culture. Due to its clear architectural design, the "Alte Münze" is considered a special example of a building from the classicist period in Wiesbaden.