Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Pedagogy

Pädagogium on Luisenplatz, around 1830
Pädagogium on Luisenplatz, around 1830

In 1829-31, a new building was constructed for the Pädagogium on the west side of Luisenplatz/corner of Luisenstraße according to plans by master builder Karl Friedrich Faber (1792-1856). The building in the classicist style was originally a two-storey building with a grooved base storey, the two front sides of which were each accentuated by a flat central risalit with a triangular gable and a pilaster arrangement on the upper floor.

In 1844, the Pädagogium was elevated to "Herzoglich Nassauisches Gymnasium" by edict and between 1846-94, it was extended several times, extended (1880) and rebuilt to create additional classroom space.

After the humanistic grammar school moved into the Gutenbergschule in 1933, the building was used to house the administration of the Reich Labor Service. In 1949, the former school building became the seat of the Hessian Ministry of Culture.

Literature

Bergh, Ulrike van den: The building of the Hess. Kultusministerium Wiesbaden, Luisenplatz No. 10: A building history from the Nassau period to the present day, Königstein/Taunus 1997.

Draheim, Dieter and others: 140 years of the Dilthey School. Commemorative publication, Wiesbaden 1984.

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits