Kolping Family
In 1875, a Catholic journeymen's association was founded in Wiesbaden following the example of Adolph Kolping. A library, its own restaurant, classrooms and dormitories for traveling journeymen as well as its own health insurance fund were built at Wellritzstraße 15. In 1895, with a membership of 900, the association opened its own clubhouse. In 1908, the Kolping Family was recognized as a private training school and received a gold medal at the 1902 trade exhibition. In the interwar period, the Kolping Family provided places for 40 permanent residents and 20 traveling journeymen.
In 1933, the Kolping Family was banned from public life and in 1938 it was banned completely and the Kolping House was confiscated. Since its re-establishment in September 1946, the journeymen's association has been known as the Kolping Family.
The 75th anniversary of the foundation was celebrated on 22.10.1950 in the clubhouse, which was restored in 1947. In 1984, the now dilapidated building was torn down; three years later, the Kolping Family moved into the new club rooms in the Kolping Center in Dotzheimer Straße 26. The Kolping Carnival is an integral part of the Wiesbaden Carnival.