St. Christopher's Church
St. Christopher's Church in Schierstein was consecrated on 15.09.1754. The exterior is in simple late baroque style, the interior in cheerful, filigree rococo. The carvings are by the Frankfurt artist Johann Daniel Schnorr.
The church was not given its name until 1966, when the Resurrection parish in Schierstein-Nord separated from the core parish. St. Christopher, who according to legend carried the infant Jesus across a river, seemed to be the appropriate patron saint for the former fishing village on the Rhine.
After the previous church next to the present vicarage fell into disrepair in the mid-18th century and was also damaged by a minor earthquake in 1752, it became necessary to build a new place of worship. Anselm Franz Reichsfreiherr von Ritter zu Groenesteyn, the chief building director of the Electorate of Mainz, who owned a country estate in Schierstein, donated a vegetable garden to the parish for the construction of St. Christopher's Church. According to the will of the church council, building inspector Johann Georg Bager (1701-1770) was to be awarded the contract. Prince Karl zu Nassau-Usingen rejected this. The art-loving lawyer Johann Scheffer was finally commissioned to build a cheaper, approvable building.
The interior of St. Christopher's Church is decorated in great detail. The four Corinthian columns in the chancel stand for the four evangelists, the twelve Doric columns of the galleries for the twelve apostles, and four Ionic columns form the cornerstones of the stone building.
More than 100 years before the Ringkirche and Lutherkirche were built in the city centre according to the Wiesbaden program, the architectural unity of altar, pulpit and organ had already been realized in the fishing village of Schierstein, following Luther's doctrine of the equal value of sacrament, proclamation of the word and music.
The Christophorus parish is particularly characterized by the church music of the Schierstein choir, which was founded in 1962.