Jump to content
State capital Wiesbaden

Schellenberg'sche Hofbuchdruckerei

Schellenberg'sche Hofbuchdruckerei, around 1900
Schellenberg'sche Hofbuchdruckerei, around 1900

In 1809, the court bookseller Ernst Ludwig Theodor Schellenberg received the privilege from Duke Friedrich August von Nassau to operate the second Wiesbaden print shop, because the existing printer Heinrich Frey was no longer able to handle the increasing number and volume of orders for the public sector on his own.

Schellenberg bought a stately town house in Langgasse from his cousin Carl Friedrich Justus Emil von Ibell, which stood where the Pressehaus is located today. With the "Herzoglich Nassauischer allgemeines Landeskalender", which was to be printed annually in editions of around 50,000 copies, Schellenberg received a really large commission from the government in the very first year. From 1816 to 1818, Schellenberg produced Nassau's first political newspaper, the "Rheinische Blätter". Schellenberg printed self-published books in various fields of knowledge to ensure a more even workload. In addition, printed matter of mostly good to top quality for government, trade and commerce as well as for private individuals and for the theater left the four presses. In 1819, Schellenberg was awarded the prestigious title of "Court Book Printer".

His son Karl August Emil Schellenberg continued the business in the same style. In 1844 he took over the Wiesbadener Wochenblatt, from which he developed the Wiesbadener Tagblatt in 1852. From then on, the newspaper determined what happened in the print shop, but the other branches were also maintained. In the next generation, Ferdinand Karl Wilhelm Ludwig Schellenberg led the company into the industrial age and turned the Tagblatt from a pure advertising paper into Wiesbaden's most widely read daily newspaper. By 1900, the company was a large printing plant with over one hundred employees.

With the new building, which was constructed between 1905 and 1909, Ludwig (Louis) Schellenberg created an office building that met all the requirements of the time and was known as the "newspaper palace" due to its luxurious furnishings and fittings. Up to this point, the Schellenberg printing company in Wiesbaden was always ahead of its competitors when it came to introducing technical innovations. After the death of Louis Schellenberg, his wife Marie, née Verdan, steered the company unscathed through the turbulent twenties.

In 1932, Gustav August Ludwig David Schellenberg gave up his scientific career as a professor of botany to continue running the company. In his second year as managing director, he was ordered by Joseph Goebbels' Ministry of Propaganda to dismiss Hermann Lekisch, the Jewish editor-in-chief of the "Wiesbadener Tagblatt" for many years. The company was "brought into line", but was able to continue working until the end of the war. Only the title "Hof" was removed from the company name.

In 1945, the American occupying forces took over the undamaged print shop for their own purposes. Gustav Schellenberg was banned from his profession and the company because of his work as a newspaper publisher during the Nazi era. From October 1945, the publishers Georg Alfred Mayer and Fritz Otto Ulm, licensed by the American administration, used Schellenberg's print shop, in which no significant investment had been made for some time, to produce the Wiesbadener Kurier, which they had founded. As late as 1945, the lease was limited to 10 years. The owners of the Kurier were later able to purchase the building and furnishings. In 1965, the property and movables were transferred with the Kurier to the "Mainzer Verlagsanstalt" (since 1992 "Verlagsgruppe Rhein-Main").

After the smell of printing ink had already disappeared from Langgasse in 1975, the typesetters also left the Pressehaus in 1980. The rooms formerly occupied by the technical department are now used by the editorial and administrative offices of Wiesbadener Kurier and Wiesbadener Tagblatt.

From 1975 to 2010, the Kurier was printed at the Mainz-Mombach printing center; since 2010, the newspaper has been printed in Rüsselheim at Druckzentrum Rhein Main GmbH & Co KG.

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits