Jump to content
City history

1744: Seat of government of the Principality of Nassau-Usingen

A garden house was built in Biebrich for Henriette Dorothea, wife of Georg August Samuel of Nassau-Idstein, in 1701 and converted into a small residential palace in 1702/03.

According to plans by architect Maximilian von Welsch, the palace was systematically converted into the summer residence of the princely house from 1707.

Following the transfer to the Nassau-Usingen line, two side wings were added to the palace and Prince Karl chose it as his main residence in 1744. With the simultaneous relocation of the government authorities to Wiesbaden, this became the capital city.

After the early death of his wife, Prince Karl entered into a so-called "left-hand marriage" with Maria Magdalena Groß from Wiesbaden; the children from this union were given the name Barons of Biburg.

Also interesting

watch list

Explanations and notes