1929: Opening of the airport near Wiesbaden-Erbenheim
As early as September 24, 1920, the Wiesbaden city council decided to purchase the grounds of the racecourse in Erbenheim.
Plans for an airfield were drawn up together with the city of Mainz and, following preliminary discussions in 1925 and 1926 with the Reich Ministry of Transport and the Inter-Allied Rhineland Commission, were approved on August 16, 1927 with the granting of an official concession. Construction work began on September 1 of the same year. On September 8, 1929, the airfield was officially opened with a "major flight day".
The operating company was Mittelrheinische Flughafen GmbH. The site was only used for civil air traffic for a few years; in October 1936 it was transferred to the German Air Force and in 1945 to the US Air Force. During the airlift to West Berlin in 1948/49, the so-called "raisin bombers" also took off from here.