Jump to content
Districts and suburbs

Nordenstadt

The Wiesbaden district of Nordenstadt is located in the east of Wiesbaden - surrounded by agricultural land - and borders on the A 66 motorway to the south. Nordenstadt has developed from a pure farming and craftsmen's village into a stately residential area with adjoining commercial enterprises, particularly in the last 50 years.

The settlement probably originated in Frankish times on the Roman road running from Wiesbaden to Hofheim. A burial ground from the 6th century uncovered during excavations suggests that the village existed at this time at the latest. Nornestat" was first mentioned in a document by King Otto I dated 01.05.950. It mentions his ownership of Nordenstadt and its location in the special royal district. The name is interpreted as the "residence of Norin". Over the centuries, numerous estates and properties were transferred or donated, in particular to ecclesiastical landlords such as Mainz monasteries and convents. Eberbach Abbey also acquired properties in Nordenstadt in 1361. Mainz and Frankfurt citizens, Nassau counts and the Nassau house monastery of Klarenthal were also propertied. In 1371, Count Gerhard von Eppstein became responsible for the district of Mechtildshausen, to which Nordenstadt was also attached. This was the beginning of the "Eppstein rule". At the same time, viticulture in Nordenstadt is also mentioned in documents. When Gottfried IX of Eppstein-Münzenberg sold his rights to the Eppsteiner Ländchen to Landgrave Wilhelm III of Hesse in 1492, Nordenstadt also became Hessian.

Around 1507, "Nordenstadt is a fair village with a moat and fortified on the inside". Iffen trees (fluttering elms) were planted along the moat. Nordenstadt had two entrances to the village, the Oberpforte in the north and the Unterpforte in the south, as well as a small gateway in the west. In 1530, after the introduction of the Reformation by Hessian Landgrave Philipp the Magnanimous, Johann Georg Gockel became the first Protestant pastor in Nordenstadt. In 1592 Nordenstadt had 78 hearths (families); it was the largest village in the Mechtildshausen court district. However, in the middle of the Thirty Years' War, only 46 inhabitants still lived in the village due to the turmoil of war.

The old Protestant parish church, which was demolished in 1718, was rebuilt as the "Jesus House" under the direction of master builder Johann Jakob Bager the Elder and solemnly consecrated in 1721. It still exists today. Inside, the large-format oil painting, the mighty altar cross, the pulpit with pine cones and the richly decorated epitaph for the Lersner family from Nordenstadt's Junkernhof farm erected by Johann Daniel Schnoor are remarkable. The organ from 1886 is a work of Romanticism and was built by Heinrich Voigt, an organ builder from Igstadt. The church tower, which was destroyed by lightning in 1734, was rebuilt on the old foundations in 1738.

In 1803, Prince Karl Wilhelm zu Nassau-Usingen received the Ländchen and thus also Nordenstadt as compensation as part of the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss. However, the newly founded duchy in 1806 was annexed by the Prussians in 1866 and Nordenstadt became "Prussian", then "Hessian" in further administrative reforms and later assigned to the district of Wiesbaden. In 1928, after the dissolution of the district, Nordenstadt was administratively assigned to the "Main-Taunus-Kreis".

It was not until the end of the 19th century that technology arrived in Nordenstadt: 1892 first official transport connection by means of the "Ländchen-Pferde-Omnibus" for the Wallau - Nordenstadt - Erbenheim route; 1896 establishment of a postal agency; 1903 connection to the Wallau telephone network; 1909/10 expansion of the local water extraction and water supply network. Nordenstadt finally received electricity in 1911/12. Nordenstadt was largely spared destruction during the Second World War, but the community mourned 29 war casualties. In 1946, around 400 displaced persons from the former German eastern territories found a new home in Nordenstadt. In 1963, Nordenstadt was connected to the Rhine-Main expressway, a highway-like road link between Wiesbaden and Frankfurt. However, it was not until 1989 that the "Nordenstadt junction", an entrance and exit to the A 66, was built.

In 1965, the newly built Catholic Christ the King Church (architect Paul Johannbroer) was consecrated in the northern part of the village, as the Catholic population had only had emergency churches at their disposal since 1946. 1975/76 saw the start and completion of municipal building projects such as the elementary school, the multi-purpose hall "Taunushalle" and sports facilities. Nordenstadt was connected to the ESWE bus network of the city of Wiesbaden and was incorporated into the state capital of Wiesbaden in 1977. Within just a few decades, the town's population grew by leaps and bounds. Today it has around 8,000 inhabitants. The formerly striking orchards had to make way for stately housing estates. Many communal facilities promote the still largely village-like community life. This is integrated into a ring of associations comprising 23 local clubs. The "Historische Werkstatt Nordenstadt - Verein für Heimatgeschichte" (Nordenstadt Historical Workshop - Association for Local History) maintains a museum of local history in Turmstraße in a half-timbered house dating back to 1667, which is well worth seeing and loving, with presentations on the history, culture and everyday life of the former village life. The registry office is located on the upper floor.

In memory of the deportation of Nordenstadt's Jews to concentration camps in 1943 and also as a constant reminder, there are stainless steel steles in front of the old town hall in Stolberger Straße 15 with the names of the former Jewish citizens. In addition, so-called stumbling stones have been laid in several streets since 2008 in memory of the Jewish families who lived here.

Nordenstadt's coat of arms from 1972 shows a broad red diagonal left bar in silver between two red cogwheels, with an open silver book on top.

Literature

Bethke, Gerd: Main-Taunus-Land, Hofheim 1996.

Gehring, Andreas (editor) and others: Nordenstadter Insights I, Wiesbaden 1988.

Henche, Albert: The former district of Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden 1930.

Kurz, Ekkehard: Nordenstadter Chronik, Wiesbaden-Nordenstadt 2001.

Kurz, Ekkehard: Today is tomorrow already yesterday, Wiesbaden 2011.

watch list

Explanations and notes