Jump to content
City encyclopedia

St. Mauritius

St. Mauritius, 2010
St. Mauritius, 2010

It was not until 1968, when the church on Abeggstraße was handed over to the congregation after two years of construction, that Wiesbaden once again had a church dedicated to the city's patron saint, Mauritius.

The original Mauritius Church, built in the city center, had been destroyed by a major fire in 1850. It is commemorated by a relief town view of old Wiesbaden by Werner Kump on the entrance portal of today's Mauritius Church. The church also houses the foundation stone of the late Gothic choir renovation of the previous building, dated 1488, as well as an expiatory cross donated by Heinz Humbach in 1382; both were once walled into its outer wall.

The spatial concept by architects Jürgen Jüchser and Peter Ressel, executed in light-colored exposed concrete, lends visual form to a new idea of a place of worship. In the first construction phase (1959-60), architect Martin Braunstorfinger built the lower church and the community center. The solitary campanile rises 20 meters into the sky above it. The interior of the church opens up to the visitor like a wide tent. The visual artist Otto-Herbert Hajek (1927-2005) played a not insignificant role in the design of the sacred building. He belonged to the avant-garde of informal sculptors in Europe in the second half of the 1950s. With the new Mauritius Church, a total work of art was realized in which sculpture and architecture could merge into a creative unity.

Literature

Köhler, Christian: Mauritiuskirchen in deutschen Landen, Hanover 1986 [p. 117].

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits