Hospice of the Holy Spirit
In 1856, the "Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ" (ADJC) or "Dernbach Sisters" founded a branch in Wiesbaden with the support of the Wiesbaden dean and parish priest Franz Ferdinand Petmecky.
Three sisters came to Wiesbaden at the request of the local population and the newly founded Vinzenz-Verein, which was concerned with social issues. Their apartment on Friedrichsplatz, from where they wanted to establish and expand outpatient nursing care, soon became too small. In the following years, donations and the financial support of the Vinzenz Association formed the basis for a house of their own at Friedrichstraße 24-28, which they moved into in 1864. St. Joseph became the patron saint.
During the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71, a military hospital was housed in the building, followed by an elementary school. After the school was closed, the building was set up for inpatient treatment in 1876 and officially put into operation. The new building erected on the same site in 1884 served as a hospital, nurses' home and girls' home and had 60 rooms with 75 beds.
In 1892, the new St. Josefs-Hospital was built on Langenbeckplatz. The old building in Friedrichstraße was given the name "Hospiz zum Heiligen Geist" (Hospice of the Holy Spirit) and continued to admit patients with internal illnesses as well as spa guests. The Hospiz zum Heiligen Geist was managed by the matron and the "family doctor"; they were supported by the administrative board of the branch institute of the "Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ".
The Hospiz zum Heiligen Geist was demolished in 1969 to make way for the Roncalli House, which was built in its place.
Literature
Noack, Erika: Wiesbadener Straßengeschichten. The Friedrichstraße, Wiesbaden 2012, pp. 105-109.
The public health care of Wiesbaden. Commemorative publication presented by the city of Wiesbaden. Edited by Rahlson, H[elmut] on behalf of the magistrate, Wiesbaden 1908 [p. 132].
The Welfare Institutions of Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden 1914 [pp. 89-94].