Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Bathhouse "Zum Rindsfuß" (English courtyard)

The baroque bathhouse "Zum Rindsfuß" on Kranzplatz was demolished in 1810 and replaced by a three-storey building in the neoclassical style. The new owner, Adolf Alexander von Block, renamed it the "Englischer Hof". The residential building had 70 rooms and the bathhouse had 40 cabins. As early as 1882/83, it had to make way for an imposing new building of the same name, which dominated the overall appearance of Kranzplatz with its massive historicist façade on the corner of Spiegelgasse. The stately building had 90 rooms.

With the outbreak of the First World War, the building was renamed the "Hessischer Hof" and after the war the "Englisch-Hessischer Hof" as part of a general war-related Anglophobia. The building, which was destroyed during the Second World War, is now an apartment building.

Literature

Czysz, Walter: Vom Römerbad zur Weltkurstadt, Geschichte der Wiesbadener heißen Quellen und Bäder, Wiesbaden 2000 (Schriften des Stadtarchivs Wiesbaden 7) [p. 320].

Schaller, Detlef/Schreeb, Hans Dieter: Kaiserzeit. Wiesbaden and its hotels in the Belle Epoque, Wiesbaden 2006.

watch list

Explanations and notes