Antoniusheim
In 1919, the former Hotel Bahnholz and the neighboring Waldcafé were acquired with funds from a foundation under Father Antonius Hilfrich, the chairman and namesake of the newly founded association "Antoniusheim e.V.". The former hotel became a convalescent home for adults, the Waldcafé a children's home. Both homes were run by nuns.
After the association was targeted by the Gestapo and the NSDAP district leadership at the end of 1938, the chairman, Pastor Hugo Pabst, was dismissed in 1939, the children were moved to another home and the nuns were expelled. On November 1, 1939, the "Taunus" home of the "Lebensborn e.V." was opened in the existing buildings as a children's home, temporarily closed in 1941 and re-established as a maternity and maternity home in November 1943. With the advance of the Allies, the home became a collection point for other, already evacuated "Lebensborn" homes from summer 1944 and was then evacuated in mid-March 1945.
In 1949, the Antoniusheim e.V. Foundation regained the site, returned it to its original purpose and expanded it to include a retirement home. Some of the buildings were used to house the women's clinic of the municipal hospitals until 1982.
In 1975, Caritas took over the sponsorship and expanded the retirement home into a modern senior citizens' center. The youth welfare association Antoniusheim GmbH of the Caritas Association looks after around 200 children, teenagers and young adults here.
Literature
Schulz-Bäsken, Rohtraut: The Antoniusheim e.V. In: Wiesbadener Tagblatt, July 2/3, 1966.
Lilienthal, Georg; Pohl, Michaela: The "Lebensborn" home "Taunus" in Wiesbaden (1939-1945). In: Nassauische Annalen 103/1992 [pp. 295-310].
Toussaint, Jeanette: Wiesbaden. In: The place of terror. History of the National Socialist concentration camps. Benz, Wolfgang; Distel, Barbara (ed.), vol. 4, Munich 2006 [p. 602 ff.].