Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Nassauische Blindenfürsorge e. V.

In 1861, Baron Moritz von Gagern founded an association in Wiesbaden to maintain a school for the blind. Just a few years later, the association was able to move into its own school building on the Riederberg. Today, the Nassauische Blindenfürsorge runs a retirement home for the sighted and blind.

The main building of Nassau's care for the blind from 1864.
The main building of Nassau's care for the blind from 1864.

The sponsor of the "Senior Citizens' Home for the Blind and Sighted", Nassauische Blindenfürsorge e. V., has had an eventful history. In the middle of the 19th century, very few people were concerned with the almost inhumane living conditions of blind children; they were left without an education and had to rely on begging. Baron Moritz von Gagern recognized the need and in 1861 initiated an "Association for the Foundation and Maintenance of a School for the Blind for the Duchy of Nassau" in Wiesbaden with the aim of "training blind people of both sexes, regardless of denomination, to become useful members of the human community through teaching and education". He was supported by well-known and influential Wiesbadeners. Despite the prevailing difficulties, such as a lack of money, space and skilled workers, von Gagern acted tirelessly and successfully. In 1864, thanks to a donation, the school was able to move into its own school building on the Riederberg, today's main building. Due to the increasing number of pupils, the building had to be extended in 1888 and 1892. New tasks were added.

The new school building was erected in 1909.
The new school building was erected in 1909.

A welfare fund was set up in 1886 to support pupils who had dropped out. In 1909, the large white building above the Home for the Blind, now the State Surveyor's Office, was erected due to a renewed lack of space. Everything necessary was now available. However, the ideal conditions only lasted for a short time. During the First World War, the large building mutated into a military hospital. Once again, there was neither space nor money for the blind. After the war, the house could no longer be maintained due to the poor economic conditions and was handed over to the city of Wiesbaden. The school for the blind was dissolved and the remaining pupils moved to Frankfurt. In 1923, the association adopted the new name "Nassauische Blindenfürsorge e.V." (Nassau Association for the Care of the Blind), a new constitution and set up the old house for single blind people, whom it looked after from then on.

The new construction of the "retirement home for the sighted and blind".
The new construction of the "retirement home for the sighted and blind".

The Second World War brought another turning point, with the NSDAP taking over practically everything. After the end of the war, the large building fell to the state of Hesse. The old building remained with Nassauische Blindenfürsorge. Since then, the home has developed positively. It has been modernized several times, extended by two buildings and repeatedly adapted to the prevailing conditions, so that it has always been in keeping with the times. Today, the home cares for both sighted and blind people, who make up a large proportion of the residents, as well as physically disabled people, people with dementia and those in need of care at all levels. The facility consists of three buildings, which are connected by a gallery. New tasks are currently pending: The building, which dates back to 1864, is in urgent need of refurbishment. The demographic development requires reactions and renewed adaptation. The association will meet these challenges with a new building in Erbenheim.

Literature

References

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits