Jump to content
City history

1993: Americans evacuate Camp Pieri and Lindsay Air Station

The Americans vacated their barracks and returned Camp Pieri on Freudenberg to the Federal Republic of Germany in the spring of 1993, followed by Lindsay Air Station on Schiersteiner Strasse on October 1, the "prime piece" of their real estate in Wiesbaden with 32 hectares in a good location.

After the acquisition by the city, the residents' and integration offices, among others, moved in here. This was followed by the construction of 1,000 apartments in the new "Europa-Viertel". In 1997, the adult education center also moved into two buildings here. The former Gersdorff barracks, completed in 1897, were occupied in 1945 and named in 1947 after Captain Darrel R. Lindsey, who died on a combat flight in France in 1944.

From 1954 until the move to Ramstein in the Palatinate in 1973, the headquarters of the US Air Forces for Europe was located here.

Also interesting

watch list

Explanations and notes