Synagogue on Michelsberg
The synagogue on Michelsberg, inaugurated on August 13, 1869, was the synagogue of the liberal-reformed Jewish community. Its large azure blue dome decorated with golden stars above a white-grey sandstone octagon shone majestically over the city, visible from afar. The synagogue on Michelsberg was the symbol of an emancipated, bourgeois and assimilated Judaism.
After the Bonifatius Church and the Russian Church on the Neroberg, it was the third Wiesbaden church designed by the Nassau master builder Philipp Hoffmann. He used a Moorish-style villa in Stuttgart, which King Wilhelm II of Württemberg had just had built, as a model. Moorish equals oriental was the fashionable formula of the time. In Dresden, Gottfried Semper had set the trend with his synagogue (1840). The three-aisled synagogue, built on a square floor plan, was divided by four free-standing domed pillars. The galleries for the women were located in the side aisles and were accessed via four low corner towers with domes. The pulpit was made of Nassau marble. The Torah shrine, seven-branched candelabra and an eternal light symbolized the presence of God.
Wiesbaden's new synagogue was the Enlightenment's idea of tolerance turned to stone in the spirit of the Ring Parable from Lessing's drama "Nathan the Wise". With the installation of an organ, which was unusual for a synagogue at the time, and the founding of a synagogue choral society, the aim was to move closer to the liturgy of the Christian churches. The consecration in August 1869 took place during the tenure of Rabbi Samuel Süßkind.
During the Reich Pogrom Night on November 9-10, 1938, NSDAP members and SA men dressed in civilian clothes also set fire to the Michelsberg in Wiesbaden. The fire department extinguished the fire at around 4 a.m., possibly due to a misunderstanding. At 6 a.m., a Nazi commando appeared again and set fire to the building for a second time. This time the fire department only protected the surrounding buildings. The synagogues in Biebrich and in Friedrichstraße were also destroyed, as was the house of prayer at Blücherstraße 6, but these were not burned down out of consideration for the neighborhood.
In 2010, a memorial was erected at the site of the synagogue on Michelsberg, commemorating around 1,500 Jewish Holocaust victims from Wiesbaden by name.