Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Schützenhaus

As local residents had complained about the shooting noise, the Wiesbadener Schützengesellschaft 1843/1860 had to leave its traditional home at Unter den Eichen and acquired a plot of land behind the Fasanerie in 1911. The new shooting clubhouse was inaugurated on 14.06.1913. Among other things, the facility had an archery range and a 300-meter shooting range.

Imperial soldiers were trained here during the First World War. The facility was also used for military purposes in the interwar period and during the Nazi regime. After the Second World War, the American occupation forces confiscated the site.

It was not until 1953 that the marksmen regained their facility, which they have used together with the American "Rod and Gun Club" ever since. The demolition of the historic building was later discussed. The plans to erect a modern functional building were ultimately rejected. The Neues Schützenhaus restaurant and café was opened in 2009.

Literature

Clobes, Wilhelm: The "Wiesbadener Schützenhaus" at the Fasanerie. A commemorative book of the Wiesbadener Schützen-Gesellschaft e.V. for the inauguration ceremony of the new Schützenhaus on the occasion of the anniversary of the reign of His Majesty Emperor Wilhelm II, Wiesbaden 1913.

watch list

Explanations and notes