Grorother Hof
Grorother Hof is one of five courtyards that surround Frauenstein, which has belonged to the Archbishopric of Mainz since 1300, on Nassau territory. The origins of this fortified complex with round towers and embrasures are shrouded in mystery. The name "Grawenrode", which has been documented since 1327, suggests that the estate can be traced back to clearing work by the Nassau counts. The coat of arms of the later Lords of Grorod, which can be seen above an entrance gate, shows a dwarf carrying a grubbing hoe.
The Grorod family received the estate from the counts as a hereditary fief. The plague wiped out this family in 1635. The estate changed hands several times in the following years, and in the meantime it was also acquired by Archbishop Damian Hartard of Mainz, who already owned the neighboring Armada estate. After the archbishop's death, there were minor military skirmishes over the property until Anton von Sohlern, Vice-Chancellor of the Elector of Trier, acquired the Grorother Hof. With the incapacitation of the last von Sohlern, the estate fell into the receivership of the Nassau government, which auctioned it off to the owner of the Nuremberg estate. Further changes of ownership followed. In 1959, the city of Wiesbaden acquired the estate.
Today, the estate is shared by the Frauenstein winegrowers' cooperative and the Udo Ott winegrowing family. In addition to wine cellars, wine sales and a restaurant, there is also an estate bar in a secluded farm garden.
Literature
Strauß, Harald: Heimatbuch Wiesbaden-Frauenstein, Wiesbaden-Frauenstein 1998 [p. 58 ff.]