European Quarter
The nucleus of the later Europaviertel was a parade ground laid out in 1868 and subsequently an area used for military purposes, on which several barracks were built from 1897 onwards. After the American invasion, the barracks were used as accommodation for so-called displaced persons. On February 28, 1947, the area was renamed Camp Lindsey after the bomber pilot Captain Darrell Robins Lindsey, who had been shot down on August 9, 1944 during a war mission over France. The headquarters of the "USAFE" (United States Air Force, Europe) located here played an important role during the airlift. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, the property became the property of the federal government and the state of Hesse.
Site III of the Federal Criminal Police Office was housed on part of the site. The Presidium for Technology, Logistics and Administration, at that time still the Hessian Police Administration Office, and the 3rd Police District settled here. In 1993, the Stadtentwicklungsgesellschaft mbH (SEG) acquired 23 hectares of the 32-hectare site on behalf of the state capital of Wiesbaden in order to create high-quality living space. The first apartments were completed in 1998.
The " Rheingauviertel/Hollerborn" local council, to which the district belongs, decided in 1995 to rename the streets with the names of European and US politicians who had made a significant contribution to promoting European integration. On 26.09.1995, the local council decided to name the entire district "Europaviertel".
Literature
From parade ground to residential quarter. The history of the Europaviertel. Edited by the Rheingauviertel/Hollerborn Local Advisory Council in conjunction with the Wiesbaden Urban Development Corporation and Cultural Office/City Archive, Wiesbaden 2010.