Bose, Friedrich Julius Wilhelm von
Bose, Friedrich Julius Wilhelm von
General of the Infantry
born: 12.09.1809 in Engelsburg near Sangerhausen
died: 22.07.1894 in Hasserode near Wernigerode
The relocation of the infantry barracks of the Wiesbaden regiments to the new periphery of the city led to the creation of Boseplatz, named after the Prussian General Bose, in 1911/12 on Schwalbacher Straße (which still formed the western city boundary of Wiesbaden in the early 19th century).
A lyceum - a girls' school - was built on the edge of the square, known since 1955 as the Elly Heuss School, which the pupils were able to move into in 1916.
Boseplatz was renamed Platz der Deutschen Einheit (Square of German Unity) by a magistrate's decision in 1958.
Bose came from a Saxon officer's family, he was initially a page at the Weimar court from 1821, joined the infantry regiment in Magdeburg in 1826 and became an officer in 1829, then company commander and later major in the general staff. He played a leading role in the German-Austrian War of 1866 and finally commanded the XI Army Corps in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71. He was seriously injured in the Battle of Wörth.
In 1880, when he retired from the army, he was elevated to the rank of count for his military services and honored with an imperial endowment of 100,000 thalers.
Literature
Ey, Hildegard: From Boseplatz to "Platz der deutschen Einheit" - from patron saint to urban catastrophe. In: Wiesbadener Leben 2/1991 [p. 28 f.].