Jump to content
City encyclopedia

Old cemetery

In 1828/29, building inspector Philipp Faber was commissioned to plan a new cemetery. His design, dated November 17, 1829, showed a large square divided into four equal fields. The cemetery was surrounded by a wall and the overall layout was planned in the English landscape style. The inauguration took place on 06.09.1832.

As early as 1854, the cemetery was extended in the direction of "Platter Chaussee" and the entrance on today's Platter Straße was provided with a representative, three-part gate. The "Old Cemetery", which was extended again in 1873 and now covered 61,369m2, developed into a site worth seeing in terms of both horticulture and art history.

After the opening of the North Cemetery in 1877, the Old Cemetery was needed less and less as a burial ground and was therefore partially laid out as a park in 1933. The mortuary was still used for the North C emetery until 1957. In 1972, the magistrate and city council decided to convert the cemetery into a leisure park. On 06.05.1973, the cemetery was deconsecrated.

The cemetery had served as the final resting place for 27,531 Wiesbaden citizens, including famous personalities such as Duchess Pauline Friederike zu Nassau and the chemist Carl Remigius Fresenius. This is commemorated by 128 historical gravestones, which have been integrated into the park in consultation with the state curator.

The leisure park was opened on 14.09.1977. In this way, the listed tombs and the population seeking recreation are taken into account.

Literature

Buschmann, Hans-Georg: The northern cemetery of Wiesbaden and its predecessors. History, burial customs and rites, grave monuments. Wiesbadener Stadt- und hessische Landesgeschichte, Frankfurt am Main [u.a.] 1991.

watch list

Explanations and notes