Jump to content
City history

1855: Consecration of the Russian Church

The Russian Church is considered a landmark of Wiesbaden. It was built between 1847 and 1855 as a crypt church for the first wife of Duke Adolf von Nassau, the Russian Grand Duchess Elisabeth Michailovna (1826 to 1845), by Philipp Hoffmann.

Elisabeth Mikhailovna died of childbed fever just one year after her marriage.

The misleading name "Greek Chapel" stems from the fact that in the 19th century the Orthodox churches as a whole, including the Russian Church, were referred to as the "Greek Church".

The Russian Orthodox Church on the Neroberg
Engraving of the Russian Orthodox Church on the Neroberg

Also interesting

watch list

Explanations and notes

Picture credits